Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick Question: Bootloader Compatibility  (Read 418 times)
Not behind you
WARNING...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello all,

Just a quick question (and I'm not even sure if this is the right forum for this, but it seemed as close as I could find) does anyone have/have a link to a list of all the microcontrollers that the Arduino Bootloader is compatible with?

Thanks,
Nelsyv

Give a man a wiring diagram, he builds for a day. Teach him how to make his own, and he builds until he runs out of parts smiley-razz

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

There are at least three different arduino bootloaders in COMMON use.
ATmegaBoot is compatible with mega8, mega168, mega328, and mega1280, at least.
OptiBoot is compatible with mega8, mega88, mega168, mega328, mega1280, mega644, mega1284, and some others.
stk500v2 is compatible with mega1280 and mega2560, and probably others.

Note that these are source-level compatibilities, possibly requiring that you compile the bootloader yourself.
A particular .hex file is essentially only good for a single processor.

Not behind you
WARNING...
View Profile

OptiBoot is compatible with mega8, mega88, mega168, mega328, mega1280, mega644, mega1284, and some others.

Note that these are source-level compatibilities, possibly requiring that you compile the bootloader yourself.

I had meant via the "Burn Bootloader to Arduino" option in the IDE, but I guess I never considered the fact that are others floating out there... Which one of the above is used in the IDE? Sorry, I know this is kind of a noob question... :\ Might as well learn about it now though.

Give a man a wiring diagram, he builds for a day. Teach him how to make his own, and he builds until he runs out of parts smiley-razz

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I had meant via the "Burn Bootloader to Arduino" option in the IDE, but I guess I never considered the fact that are others floating out there... Which one of the above is used in the IDE? Sorry, I know this is kind of a noob question... :\ Might as well learn about it now though.

They are all listed in the bootloader folder in the arduino IDE core section. On my machine the folder is located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Primary Windows User\My Documents\My Programs\Arduino\arduino-1.0.3\hardware\arduino\bootloaders
When you select the board option in the IDE prior to doing the burn bootloader operation, it uses the appropriate bootloader in that folder.

Lefty
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:31:53 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Not behind you
WARNING...
View Profile

They are all listed in the bootloader folder in the arduino IDE core section. On my machine the folder is located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Primary Windows User\My Documents\My Programs\Arduino\arduino-1.0.3\hardware\arduino\bootloaders
When you select the board option in the IDE prior to doing the burn bootloader operation, it uses the appropriate bootloader in that folder.

Lefty

Now here is a quality response. Instructions on how to find the answer, and easy enough to figure out.
Thanks, this definitely answers my question  smiley-mr-green

*locks thread*

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: