Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Controlling a Flip Dot Display  (Read 1076 times)
Canada
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've done researches on the internet but can't distinguish what chip got the role of the H-Bridge.

It's control appears to be very similar to the way latching relays work (impulse driven). What I've read is that they have a permanent magnet like shown here. Notice the separate SET and RESET impulse.

If that's the case, then if it's single coil driven, a method of reversing the polarity across the coil would be needed (i.e. mini-relay or H-bridge).  If it has a dual-coil configuration (or centre-tapped coil) to flip the dots, then no H-bridge is required.  It looks to me here that part numbers ULN2804 and UDN2982 are used to drive the coils.

Note that latching relays need an impulse (i.e. 50-100 ms) to operate and would suffer damage if driven continuously at rated coil voltage. I think the idea here is similar (something to investigate).

In any case, once the dots can be controlled, the required code would be very similar to that which drives an led matrix.

Electricity is really just organized lightning - George Carlin

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Now imagine I would take the option : "hacking" of the Krueger display.

I do think it is by far your best option.    It is already set up to do exactly what is necessary.

Do you know guys what kind of language/protocol do they use to control the display and communicate with the control device?

The primary "language" is Motorola 6809 assembler, a very elegant symmetric machine code with which I used to be fluent.  You would need to disassemble the code in the EPROM (which you have not identified; you need to take a look under the label), not particularly difficult with a decent disassembler though deciphering compiled "high-level" languages can be a challenge.

Needless to say, the interface with the programming device which you do not have, would be arbitrary and proprietary, but would be implicit in the firmware you have.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: