Go Down

Topic: Will this setup cause a fire? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick5pnt0

Can I ask why you want to do this in the first place? Maybe if you explain your needs better somebody can recommend a better solution. Why not just use the proper cable for carrying 120VAC to begin with?

Jack Christensen

For what it's worth, this Wikipedia article says it's good for .577 A per conductor and 125VDC. Seems there are 8 conductors per wire so that gives you under 5A per wire; your 7A is asking for trouble.

And since the peak value of a 120VAC sine wave is around 170V, the answer to the original question should be abundantly clear.

Too often on this forum we are presented with a solution rather than a problem, and asked, "Will it work?" Not only can this be difficult to answer without knowing the problem, but it precludes alternate suggestions that may represent improvements on the original "solution".

In this case the answer is clear: Yes, this could very well cause a fire as the cable is clearly being operated beyond its specifications, relative to both current and voltage.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (remember records?), I will ask again: Why do you want to do this?
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

David82

I need to power something 100ft+ away with an ethernet cable. The load is 12V and ~7A. If I use AC, I can convert it to DC at the end of the cable. The cable will greatly vary in length from 6ft to 100ft+ so the solution needs to work with either scenario.

HazardsMind

I need to power something 100ft+ away with an ethernet cable.
Wireless was made so that, you don't need to do this. Your setup is very dangerous, and should not be done like that.

If you do this and get hurt, it's sad to say but, it's on you.
Created Libraries:
TFT_Extension, OneWireKeypad, SerialServo, (UPD)WiiClassicController, VWID

PeterH

I need to power something 100ft+ away with an ethernet cable. The load is 12V and ~7A. If I use AC, I can convert it to DC at the end of the cable. The cable will greatly vary in length from 6ft to 100ft+ so the solution needs to work with either scenario.

That's about 85W. If you ran about 50V DC at 2A using all eight conductors (four each way) you would just about be able to carry that while staying within the wiring spec. Do you need this cable to carry data as well? I would assume not, since your proposed data and AC in the same bundle is not a happy combination. You'd need to provide a DC-DC converter to generate your 12V supply at the far end.

Why are you constrained to using CAT5 instead of a suitable power cable? This is not what it's designed for, and it's not good at it.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up