Go Down

Topic: MQTT Commander - an Android Application for esp8266 (Read 937 times) previous topic - next topic

kas

From http://www.mqtt.org:
MQTT is a machine-to-machine (M2M)/"Internet of Things" connectivity protocol. It was designed as an extremely lightweight publish/subscribe messaging transport.
It is useful for connections with remote locations where a small code footprint is required and/or network bandwidth is at a premium
OK...  this seems to be the future for IoT control, so let's take the plunge    :smiley-evil:

This simple App can switch a light bulb or any appliance from anywhere in the world, using an Android smartphone

The demo esp8266 board:

See it in action:

>> Video <<

Android App and ESP8266 led are now fully synchronized
- the App button drives the board led
- a led state change, using the board button, will be reflected on the Android device screen

more infos here

The project is based on the new esp8266 chip, I am baffled by this new cute WiFi device,
and may end up developing a joystick application similar to  Joystick Bluetooth Commander

kas

Final PCB design:

- 220V to 3.3V  AC/DC converter
 - ESP8266 (3 GPIO)
 - opto isolated 220V relay

mart256

Cool. How did you overcome the problems with the esp8266 and the resets or not booting properly? Ive an esp8266 and I think is very tricky, very sensitive to noise.

HugoPT

Cool project, can you share the code inside arduino?
I have been using mqtt with Openhab , mosquito and arduino and  they work great.
Mqtt is a great protocol that blows my mind :smiley-mr-green:
Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

kas

Cool. How did you overcome the problems with the esp8266 and the resets or not booting properly? Ive an esp8266 and I think is very tricky, very sensitive to noise.
- 100nF capacitor between 3.3V and Ground
- 220V stuff at left side of PCB only
- possibly luck   ;)

EDIT: 10K pullUp connected to CH_PD

Cool project, can you share the code inside arduino?
No Arduino in this project, sketch is directly uploaded to ESP8266
Code is here

kas

... the finished project, packaged in a recovered X10 module enclosure

That's what it is:  a power socket that can be controlled at home and from anywhere around the world

kas

Hi
I saw your post here, and you did exactly what I am currently doing. Would you mind sharing your PCB layout?
Thanks,
Ohad
Hi Ohad,

Sorry, no PCB layout as such
Wiring is really simple, just make sure to segregate Main/5V

Have a look here for additional info's

kas

Hi
Got your code running. Thanks for your efforts and making them public  Would like to try the app.
xxx@xxx.co.uk

Regards

Hi,

MQTT Commander V1.6 emailed to you this morning  ;)
For additional info, have a look here

For support and suggestions, let's continue on the Forum

Cheers

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy