Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hydroponic/Aquaponic system  (Read 1133 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey,

I have a small hydroponic system set up in my garden which im about to convert to a aquaponic system.
Around a year ago I explored automation possibilities and Arduino came up as the best solution. I've been abroad for some while
so now I'm picking up where i left.

In the aquaponic system i want to measure certain levels:
- Water level
- pH
- Dissolved Oxygen
- Temp
- and more over time. anything that can be measured digitally smiley-wink

The idea is that i measure these numbers and that i'll be able to read them through the internet from any computer or android device around the world. I also would like to be able to control motors for opening up windows in the greenhouse, open water taps, release water from the system and releasing nutrients & minerals.

So i'm looking for advice what to buy? which shield do i go for? the UNO seems to simple?, the MEGA has no ethernet capabilities?, the ETHERNET seems small? Do i go for a board not build by arduino, all these questions.....

please help me to buy what i need to automate this future system

greetings

edit1: so after some reading and correct me if im wrong, i will hookup a UNO or a MEGA to a GSM shield. these two will operate in a different location then mine, but are connected to the 3G and GSM network. My idea is to host a small webpage for myself where i can read the data (see above) in my greenhouse system and if needed manually adjust through just pushing some down and up arrows. ( i guess that webpage requires some scripting) But for most of the time the whole system will just operate on itself, adjust nutrient levels, temperature, humidity, oxygen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:26:03 pm by GeneralDJ » Logged

Edison Member
View Profile

You have to start somewhere, and the Arduino Uno is the best board to start with.
Later you can easily upgrade to Arduino Mega 2560 plus an Ethernet Shield, or Arduino Yun.

The easiest way to monitor the water quality is with a kit, but they are expensive.
https://www.atlas-scientific.com/product_pages/kits/sds-kit.html

Just the pH costs 105 dollars.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10972

View Profile

you can refer to one of my projects as it is a web-enabled system that should easily be able to handle your desires if the web-page code and sensor code is updated accordingly.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=140740.0

View Profile

Thanks for the reponses. I will see and order a starter kit to get into arduino and see much how i can automate from a UNO.
Over time i'll learn and program more myself and from that point i'll go for a mega with a ethernet shield.

greetings,

View Profile

hello,
im currently building a project just like this.
but i use the arduino yun to get web control via wifi and micro sd storage.
im starting with the basics timers for pump and light, 2 ds18b20 temp sensors(water and air) also have a dht11 monitoring humidity, also have a bh1750 lux meter, water level sensor.
later i want to add my ph sensor and some dosing pumps.
if ur gonna start with an uno or mega, u dont need to write any code at all, there are complete sketches/codes online wich i tried and woked fine using serial monitor for control and monitoring.

View Profile

reply to pepadew,

those sensors all in all cost around 30 euro/40 $ together i guess. happy to hear i can download the sketches and all.
how are you planning to send the data? planning to put a small pc there hooked up to the internet. this is all new to me
so i might ask some newbie questions. plz put some pics up from your design and progess.

greetings,

View Profile

hello,
the sensor al together are not that expansive. only the ph could be more expansive. i bought mine for 29 euro i got ph probe and analog decoder board.

also the arduino yun has a linux proccesor onboard so i do not need to have an active pc.
also the arduino yun is capable to run a webserver and a webclient. acces can be get via REST calls like PUT and GET also it could be done via json.

were u from and whats ur native languege? maybe i can translate it cause my english is not that great.

View Profile

If you want to control things from your mobile and log and plot the data, check out www.pfod.com.au.

There is also a pfodDesigner which lets you design custom menus to turn things on and off.
pfodApp also supports 128bit security

see www.pfod.com.au for lots of examples.
drop me an email via support is you need any help

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: