Go Down

Topic: DIY Ambilight from VGA splitter cable possible? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

desolation

Just a simple question that after hours and hours of googling i am no closer to the answer.

I have a Arduino based RGB controller hooked up to a single rgb led for prototyping(final product to have led strips around the room using mosfets).  I have several "scenes" programmed to run when i select certain buttons on an ir harmony remote which ties into the arduino through a simple ir sensor.

My question now, i want to also have it as a simple ambilight system.

Is it possible to hook up the r, g, b and grnd connections from a VGA splitter out of my HTPC to analog inputs to the arduino and have the arduino map the values to power the RGB LEDs?

I have read a few places that i will need maybe some resistors and capacitors to help with interference? Or since the arduino is interpreting the signal i wont need this? Is the current coming from the video card too much for the inputs on the arduino?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Gracias.
Still a noob but getting there.....

macegr

This is beyond the capabilities of a standard Arduino. You would need a high-speed triple ADC to start. You'd need to analyze the HSYNC and VSYNC signals to identify regions around the edges of the display, then possibly integrate the values of those regions to retrieve a color average. It's not a trivial project.
Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

lax123

why not do it like this? amblone.com

u ll be done in 20min...

desolation

So the amblone is a great option but i was looking for a way to avoid having the computer do all the processing. I have heard it can be quite consuming.  My HTPC is a pretty good system but i  uaing it as my security cam server with 5ea - 648 x 480 ip cameras streaming and recording nearly 24/7. 

I wasnt really looking to just sense the edges, an overall r, g and b value would suffice. Is that just not possible?
Still a noob but getting there.....

strykeroz

Hi

I've not used one (caveat) but this shield from Nootropic Design might be something to look at : link to kit in their store.

Cheers ! Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

Go Up