Go Down

Topic: DIY Ambilight from VGA splitter cable possible? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

desolation

OK so I found this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It looks like this should do what I want. The only difference would be that I would change the 12v in this schematic to the 5v, and the emitter on the RGB Lines would go directly into A0, A1, and A2 on the Arduino. 

Would I need to change any of the values of the components(resistors, capacitors) because I am going to be using 5v instead of 12v? Would I need to arrange it differently?

Thanks.

Kevin
Still a noob but getting there.....

desolation

So my brain has been racking, trying to find an easier way to do this, and remove the arduino from the equation when doing the ambilight function.  I think I figured it out.  Will this fry everything? Or will it be my savior?

I would have three of these circuits, one for R, G, and B. Control Pin 1 would be what I would use to set the led to a color or use one of the preset fade functions, and the second would be if I set the arduino to Ambilight mode and it would directly parse the information from the VGA port and apply it via the mosfets to the LEDS.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kevin

strykeroz

Would be interesting to see what effect you get here.  You'll have feedback on the overall blended colour of the screen rather than bleeding the edge colours of the screen out past the edges.  My first impression is this would give you an ambilight effect that isn't (unless the whole screen is a colour) representative of what's on display.  But like I say, very happy to watch and learn from your progress.

All the best, Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

desolation

Feb 12, 2013, 10:17 pm Last Edit: Feb 12, 2013, 10:18 pm by desolation Reason: 1
Well even with my current setup, using AtmoWin and 1 RGB Channel from my Arduino Micro, its actually a pretty good, and cheap I might add, representation.  I would record on my cel camera, but the camera colors are WAAAY off.  I will definetely share progress, when progress has been made.

I have found the best effect when I view Electric Sheep animations on Youtube, it looks awesome.  Also I have found that cartoons look best, but even race scenes and explosions are a massive improvement over no ambient lighting at all.

Kevin

lax123

Feb 12, 2013, 10:52 pm Last Edit: Feb 12, 2013, 10:55 pm by lax123 Reason: 1
its an interesting project but who uses vga cables in 2013

it would be realllly interesting if like a camera captures the screen and the data gets processed, but then i guess an arduino might not have the power. Maybe withsome colour sensors or something like that.

please share some pictures of what it looks like

Go Up