Whats the best method to switch 4 relays from 1 output?

hi
id like to switch 4 * 5v relays switching 4 * 230v feeds, from just 1 output from my 328

just wondering what is the best way / method for doing this?

thanks

1-wire i/o expander ?

4 relay coils in parallel with one common driver transistor ?

Krodal:
1-wire i/o expander ?

Also known as a "transistor".

fungus:

Krodal:
1-wire i/o expander ?

Also known as a "transistor".

No, something like this : Mixed-signal and digital signal processing ICs | Analog Devices

But now I'm confused. Should the relays be controlled seperately ? Or are they activated all at the same time ?

Or step a uniselector (!)

One 4PST relay?

Lefty

think my best / easiest option is to use one transistor switching 4 coils in parallel, thanks for the help

Are your 4 230Vdevices ultimately fed from the same power line ?
Why don't you want to run them in parallel from a single relay ?

hi micheal , no the 230v's are seperate live feeds fused to 3a each which turn on various things

A single 4PST relay is about the same price, but more compact, than 4 separate "ordinary" SPST ones, or 2 * DPST as an intermediate solution.
( http://www.newark.com/panasonic-ew/s4eb-12v/power-relay-4pst-12vdc-4a-pc-board/dp/46F5824 )

If you need a 2PST per line, I'd go for four relays anyway.

Edit: oops, you need 5V relays, so there's not too much choice :wink:

i did think of doing it that way but not much choice on 5v, i wanted to make it bomb proof, i intend using a 8a dp contacts doubling up on those giving me 16a
cheers

jonisonvespa:
i did think of doing it that way but not much choice on 5v, i wanted to make it bomb proof, i intend using a 8a dp contacts doubling up on those giving me 16a
cheers

If you need to turn on or off four different 230 VAC circuits AT THE SAME TIME but keep them isolated from each other, use solid state relays:

These little modules have optical isolation, take in 3 to 20 volts DC at a few milliamps (TTL levels) and can control 230, 460 and more volts at 25, 50 and more amperes. They are completely isolated, so you can wire one end to an Arduino and the other end directly to a load safely.