Go Down

Topic: Making a USB charger of a Racing Pack (Read 3693 times) previous topic - next topic

I calculated that that my cellphone battery (3.7V, 1.23Ah) can store 16.4kJ of energy and a battery for an RC car (7.2V, 3Ah) can store 77.7kJ, which could recharge the cellphone a few times.
So I was wondering if I could make a mobile USB charger of a Racing Pack and a 5V voltage regulator.

My questions are:
Does this work at all?
Can I damage something (for example with a too high voltage)?
What happens if the racing pack is discharged? Can I damage the phone / usb device with a too low voltage?
How can I determine when racing pack is discharged?

Hi. If you use a standard voltage regulator, you will waste a LOT of energy this way, and regulator will get hot and require heatsinking.

I would recommend a module like this http://goo.gl/nLeVz - they are very good at this job.

Please be sure not to over-discharge your battery pack, or you will hurt your batteries. You could make an auto-switch off circuit with some resistors and a transistor that turns off the load when the voltage gets too low.

Good luck with the project.

// Per.

I've been reading the datasheet for the LM7805 -

Looks to me like a problem would be the dropout voltage of 2V.  I read this to mean the 7805 will stop outputting when the input voltage dips below 7 volts.  That discharging RC battery wouldn't last long like that, would it?

Would 7.2V really be a heat issue at that low of a power draw?

Calculate the power you waste with the 7805.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131