Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Struggling to understand the basics of a 7 segment display common anode  (Read 589 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have built something similar to this.

My LED works fine. The problem is I do not understand how the circuit works. The anode side, display pins 3 and 8, receive power. Lets say for now I have pin 2 of the display going to pin 2 on the arduino board.

Now in my mind the pin 2 on the arduino board should complete/ground the circuit. However the program sketch uses pinmode(2, OUTPUT) and I use digitalWrite(2, HIGH) to turn on that specific led.

How does the cathode side of this CA 7-seg display work?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:02:12 pm by crosson » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Cathode needs to be LOW for a segment to turn on.

Perhaps it common cathode & not common anode?
Since you show what you think is the common anode connected to 3.3V, and the LEDs turn with 5V from an output pin, that would suggest a common cathode part.
Try moving the 3.3V connection to 5V - if the LEDs no longer turn on, that would prove my conjecture out.
Move the connetion to Gnd instead, and you should see working LEDs with improved brightness.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

You were right. I was blinking the leds confusing myself. To confirm I turned all leds on by letting it remain on digitalWrite(2, LOW). Also tried your experiment and you were double right. So when I set the Write to LOW does that send power in that direction?

Edison Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

See attached images

* 7seg.jpg (141.1 KB, 561x469 - viewed 16 times.)

* CCCA.jpg (24.4 KB, 455x267 - viewed 13 times.)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

See the common cathode diagram above - writing your outputs  high source current into the anodes to turn the segments on.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Incidentally the 3V3 rail isn't a good choice for LEDs since

a) Low current only, might not be able to drive many segments at once
b) A bit too low a voltage for blue and white LEDs - may only be able
   to light up dimly...

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: