Go Down

Topic: ATmega328P-PU with Arduino as programmer + NRF24L01 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Dblade4

Feb 07, 2013, 02:46 am Last Edit: Feb 07, 2013, 02:51 am by Dblade4 Reason: 1
Hi,

I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere before, but I am getting really confused googling around for my answer so I thought I'd ask the experts directly.

I have an Arduino UNO, and an ATMega328P-PU. I want to be able to load regular avr programs onto the ATMega using only the Arduino [no crystal or capacitors](I have a usbasp programmer on order but that will take 3 weeks to get here), but I'm confused as to whether I need a bootloader or is that for a different purpose?

I've tried this tutorial (on a completely fresh ATMega328P-PU) for using the Arduino as an ISP: http://hackaday.com/2010/10/25/avr-prog ... -hardware/ and used the wiring on this page http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP (the bottom left one with no capacitors) but I get a "Yikes! Invalid device signature." from avrdude.

Do I need different wiring? Do I need a bootloader here? Do I need to change the command I send to avrdude (I changed the m168 to m328p)?

My goal is to start learning more about avrs since I am doing my thesis this year and will be working on a telemetry system for a UAV with an XMega and XBees + Processing. I want to be able to firstly put a program on the ATMega328P-PU I have, then when I'm comfortable with that I'll connect one of the two NRF24L01s RF modules I have to it, and another to my Arduino to simulate my telemetry setup sending data back and forth wirelessly(I start my thesis in a month).

Any guidance for setting up my ATMega or anything else in my post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rik.

Coding Badly

I've tried this tutorial (on a completely fresh ATMega328P-PU) for using the Arduino as an ISP...

How did you disable reset?

Dblade4

Is that the 10uF capacitor in step 5 in the arduino.cc tutorial? Would that be the problem?

Coding Badly

Is that the 10uF capacitor in step 5 in the arduino.cc tutorial?

Yes.

Would that be the problem?

Did you following the instructions?

Dblade4

Feb 07, 2013, 03:36 am Last Edit: Feb 07, 2013, 03:42 am by Dblade4 Reason: 1
I was following the hackaday tutorial which did not mention anything about it but I now see that he is using a dueminalove. I used the arduino.cc page only for the wiring diagram.

So this is all I will need to do then, all the other steps are right for uploading simple .hex programs to the atmega328p-pu? I will try the hackaday tutorial again but with the 10uF capacitor, and the exact circuit shown on the bottom left of the arduino.cc tutorial.

And do I just use '328p' in avr dude even though my atmega has 'pu' at the end?

Go Up