Metal ring around motors--> FLUX RING (Question) (SOLVED)

In the past i opened some cordless drills and i noticed that their motors would have a metallic ring around the motor's metal casing. Why is that? What is it used for?

(The ring i am talking about can be clearly seen in this picture http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/59/59048/johnsonmotordrillwswithc.jpg)

Called a FLux Ring. Improves the magnetic field around the motor to make the motor have more torque. Also improves efficiency. Some motor designs need it more than others. For instance - I have built some brushless motors for model airplanes. Without the flux ring they could run faster, but with little torque. With the flux ring they have much more torque and are much more usable for spinning a propeller.

kf2qd:
Called a FLux Ring. Improves the magnetic field around the motor to make the motor have more torque. Also improves efficiency. Some motor designs need it more than others. For instance - I have built some brushless motors for model airplanes. Without the flux ring they could run faster, but with little torque. With the flux ring they have much more torque and are much more usable for spinning a propeller.

And if add to the flux ring a flux capacitor of the proper size your motor will take you back to the future. :wink:

And whats a flux capacitor? :open_mouth:

Voidugu:
And whats a flux capacitor? :open_mouth:

I guess a poor attempt at american humour. If you didn't get the joke then it doesn't really matter. :wink:

I just googled it and the search came up with results of a crazy scientist and the flux capacitor and time travel etc. It's a TV show right? I must have watched one or two episodes of the show a long time ago as i remembered his face but not enough shows for me to know the title of the show or to have witnessed the extraordinary/amazing power of the FLUX CAPACITOR :open_mouth:

Voidugu:
I just googled it and the search came up with results of a crazy scientist and the flux capacitor and time travel etc. It's a TV show right? I must have watched one or two episodes of the show a long time ago as i remembered his face but not enough shows for me to know the title of the show or to have witnessed the extraordinary/amazing power of the FLUX CAPACITOR :open_mouth:

Not a TV show, a full feature movie, Back to the Future. And popular enough to have created two other sequels to the first.
Lots of jokes and one-liner comments have come out of those movies.

Back to the Future was released on July 3, 1985 and became the most successful film of the year, grossing more than $383 million worldwide and receiving critical acclaim. It won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Film, as well as an Academy Award, and Golden Globe nominations among others. Ronald Reagan even quoted the film in his 1986 State of the Union Address.[2][3] In 2007, the Library of Congress selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry, and in June 2008 the American Film Institute's special AFI's 10 Top 10 designated the film as the 10th-best film in the science fiction genre. The film marked the beginning of a franchise, with sequels Back to the Future Parts II and III released in 1989 and 1990, as well as an animated series, theme park ride and several video games.

Lefty

I want my DeLorean....

Thanks for the info Lefty :slight_smile: