Go Down

Topic: HELLO from a NOOB- advice needed for NEMA 11 + dual shield, ...arduino (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello,
Im new the world of arduinos- I have a few parts in my possession that id like to assemble into a working unit. For the end product I'm looking to use an optical encoder with a resolution of 500 degrees per rotation to accurately control a NEMA 11 bipolar stepper motor in both directions in a "one to one" fashion.

For example: Here is an example of a arduino uno pot controlled stepper that operated exactly the way id like mine to work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VWhPt-ws9g

My parts:
1. arduino uno(s)
2. Nema 11 motor (as pictured below)
3. dual stepper motor shield (as pictured below)
4. optical encoder with 4 pins (as pictured below)

diagram for shield:

I have a few questions that I hope someone can graciously bestow knowledge on to this NOOB. ...

A. I do not understand the motor wiring and how it connects to the drive socket (XO1A- YO2b) portion of the shield. Can Somebody please explain this.

B. Can someone explain to me the pins in which digitally control the X and Y drive sockets natively on this board, how do I know which pins to insert my encoder into and how it will translate into controlling a functional stepper motor.

C. is the Arduino alone powerful enough to run the Stepper, or will I need an external power supply?

A+B+C= code, code, code

If I understand the principles of this setup, I think I could gain a better understanding of how to manipulate the code...

future thoughts: i hope to be able to use XBEE's with my arduinos to control this device wirelessly... but first things first.

I hope to become a resource to this forum in the near future...

-Joel

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy