Go Down

Topic: Speed control of a 24V with Arduino (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

harshvardhan

you say you are not an electronics expert;
but you are going to remain there if you do not experiment . its acuallty pretty easy to understand .
all you need to know is the working of a transistor, and a dpdt relay.

dc42

I really appreciate all your help!
After I saw your suggestions, I started to google the components and while I was searching, I found a driver for Arduino.
By writing this, I don't want you to think I'm against the suggestions you gave me. However, I'm not an expert in electronics.
Don't you think I will have more chances of succeeding if I use this driver that is already assembled?
Specifications:
-Operating voltage: 15 ~ 24V
-Rated / Peak Current: 40A/80A
-Hardware architecture: high-power N-channel MOS transistor, a single full-bridge
-Input PWM signal: Duty Cycle 0 ~ 98% (not more than 98%), the standard 16KHz highest 100KHz.
-Supply voltage signal output: 0 ~ 5V corresponding to 0 ~ 26V
-Supply current signal output: 0 ~ 5V corresponding to 0 ~ 91A

That driver sounds OK except that if your power supply is a 24V lead acid battery, then the 24V maximum operating voltage is right on the limit, and you would have to disconnect the motor driver every time you want to charge the battery.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Ziwdon

I just thought of using an already assembled driver mainly because they're cheap.

Thanks for the tip dc42. Can you explain why I would have to disconnect the motor driver every time I want to charge the battery? Or tell me where/what I have to search to find the explanation for that?

Meanwhile, the enterprise where I want to buy the motor told me that they don't advise me to control the motor using an Arduino and a driver. They said that using my own controller would not be something that they would really recommend for liability reasons, and that those motors are used for scooters..

dc42

Thanks for the tip dc42. Can you explain why I would have to disconnect the motor driver every time I want to charge the battery? Or tell me where/what I have to search to find the explanation for that?

The voltage of a 24V lead acid battery when it is on charge is about 27V, maybe even a little higher. The driver you use needs to be able to withstand that voltage, unless it is disconnected during charging.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Ziwdon

Go Up