Go Down

Topic: Arduino Train: How to Program "Stop Locations?" (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

fellytone84

Hey all, thanks for the ideas!

@shpaget, I'm not familiar with reed switches, but they sound interesting -- I'll check them out.

@holmes4, I setup my arduino to receive HTTP post requests via this tutorial: http://www.twilio.com/blog/2012/08/diy-home-automation-using-twilio-powerswitch-arduino-and-pusher.html so I can turn it on and off remotely.

I'm still hazy on the program, but I'm thinking this could work:

1. setup arduino A to control of the voltage of the tracks -- all starting and stopping will have to pass through this controller.

2. mount arduino B on the train and configure it to post "stop requests" to the web server based on its proximity to its "stop location" (possibly triggered by NFC or RFID tags?).

3. upon receiving a "stop" command from the arduino B, the webserver would then propagate this command to arduino A, which would then adjust the voltage accordingly.

What are your thoughts on this design? Is this overly complicated? Can you think of easier methods to remotely "deliver" the train to specific track locations?

Oh, and I just stumbled across Adafruit's NFC shield http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgLV5X1iWWw, which is totally awesome :)

holmes4

OK, I think I see what your doing. However you have no need of all the complexity and cost of having Arduino on the train send data to Ardiuino in control which then turns on/off power. Much simpler just to let the Arduino in control do every thing and at 1/4 of the cost! Remember KISS "Keep It Simple Stupid", is the best design rule of all.

Mark

holmes4

I'm also thinking about hall sensors in the track (magnets and coils in the engine) and LDR's placed in the track (the engine puts the LDR into shade as it passes over - should be able to be seen with ADC and would also work when the train s moving in reverse!

Mark

fellytone84

@holmes4, ah, I think I understand what you're saying...On this particular train set, the center rail powers the train. Are you suggesting I configure the train so that it no longer responds to the center rail?

Go Up