Go Down

Topic: sending sensor data to arduino wirelessly (Read 449 times) previous topic - next topic

ggml

hello community,
i am planning on setting up an augmented table-tennis game (audio-visual feedback on table-hit and paddle-hit)
for the paddle part, i intend to send vibration and acceleration data wirelessly from the two paddles to a central arduino unit.
several questions arise, considering feasable ergonomics of table-tennis gameplay:
- wich accelerotmeter to use ? (MMA7361, MMA8452Q seemed appropriate)
- wich controller to use ? (considering i need 4 channels of analog data to be encoded, 1 piezo and 3 acceleration axes)
- wichs sender/reciever to use ? (considering i need two distinct communication channels - 2 paddles - and a maximum range of 5m)
thank you,
ggml

PeterH

If you're planning to make a noise each time the ball hits something, I'd have thought it's basically a matter of using a microphone to pick up game sounds, and amplifying the frequency range corresponding to the sounds of a bouncing ping pong ball. You may not even need to instrument the paddle, just point a mic in the right general direction. (If you want to provide feedback when the paddle is just waved around, then I guess an accelerometer would be the way to detect that. Hollow handle in the paddle?
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

ggml

after some research, here is an approach with on-board arduino :/
paddle with sensors & arduino pro mini 328, sending over bluetooth to rs232
it would be nice if somebody could shade some light on any of the following question points:

- needing ball_hit(piezo sensor) and paddle_wave(acceleration sensor) data, will the piezo interfere with paddle-waving?
- what range of sensitivity can i expect to be needing for waving a table-tennis paddle ? (it is similar to the wii)
- is there a (software) way to tell hit_vibrations from paddle_waving just from the acceleration sensor ?
- which components should go into sleep-mode for battery economy ? (sensors/arduino/emitter)
- is bluetooth (silver mate) a good option (latency-wise) for sending the data away from the paddle ?
- what would be a good bt reciever ? my dektop unit hasn't got an onboard bt-device
- can i use one bt-reciever for two bt paddle-ids ?

@PeterH:
i dont see how i could reliably trigger events from mic-signals and at the same time use sound as feedback for those triggers.
also, i would need to differentiate table_hit from paddle_hit ..

thank you

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy