Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for a new soldering iron  (Read 472 times)
Not behind you
WARNING...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My soldering iron bit the dust recently, anyone have a suggestion for a good (new) soldering iron? I'd like to keep it under 20-30 USD though, as I don't have much 'expendable income'. (although I might reach into the 35 range if someone REALLY likes one...)

Give a man a wiring diagram, he builds for a day. Teach him how to make his own, and he builds until he runs out of parts smiley-razz

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Be tempted to spend enough to get a good quality temperature controlled iron with adjustable temperature setting,
anything less is probably false economy.   Well worth making sure replacement bits will still be obtainable in many years
time (which means a well-known brand).

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

Maybe a used WES51?  If you could find someone willing to part with it...

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

I recommend Hakko FX-888.

Buy once, keep a lifetime.

I still have a Weller station that I bought in 1978.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I have an Xtronics 4040 soldering iron/hot air station
www.xtronicusa.com/home/?ecwid_product_id=9238594

Got it on e-bay for ~$109, works very well for thru hole & SMD rework.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Not behind you
WARNING...
View Profile

Be tempted to spend enough to get a good quality temperature controlled iron with adjustable temperature setting,
anything less is probably false economy.   Well worth making sure replacement bits will still be obtainable in many years
time (which means a well-known brand).

Agreed, although it still goes without saying that I shouldn't spend more than I have smiley-razz

Maybe a used WES51?  If you could find someone willing to part with it...

I assume you mean this? http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-Analog-Soldering-Station/dp/B000BRC2XU
A bit pricier than I'd be willing to pay, but it looks like it would be a good investment...

I recommend Hakko FX-888.

Buy once, keep a lifetime.

I still have a Weller station that I bought in 1978.

This guy? http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888-FX-888-Soldering-Station/dp/B004M3U0VU
Looks very nice... still pretty expensive though.

I have an Xtronics 4040 soldering iron/hot air station
www.xtronicusa.com/home/?ecwid_product_id=9238594

Got it on e-bay for ~$109, works very well for thru hole & SMD rework.

A bit totally out of my price range.

Overall, I guess I was too low in my original price range. Since this *is* the backbone of all hardware tasks (if you don't solder it right, it won't work) I guess I would rather go a little bit over the top than get something disappointing. Well, thanks for the responses!

Give a man a wiring diagram, he builds for a day. Teach him how to make his own, and he builds until he runs out of parts smiley-razz

Land of Oz
I dream in Assembler
View Profile

I use Hakko at work, especially the 936 solder stations. A few years ago I was told of Chinese copies made by Bakko ( no kidding ) and I found someone on Ebay selling another equivalent model. In AUS $'s it cost me $40 and perfectly fits the Hakko tips. I also calibrated the station at work and the temp readings are spot on. This is a fast, very responsive solder station.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-4040-HOT-AIR-REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-/180672745995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b
$109, works great.
I bought some part specific size nozzles to help with arduino parts too.
http://www.mpja.com/nozzle   enter nozzle
30 second of  hot air and parts come right off ...

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Land of Oz
I dream in Assembler
View Profile

Made a mistake with the name, It's Bakkon not Bakko

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Get an iron with a fine tip for small part soldering, and make sure you can easily get replacement tips.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: