Go Down

Topic: Approach to computing a value once in a library? (Read 339 times) previous topic - next topic

memotick

I'll try to describe this the best I can...

Let's say my sketch has a constant "foo=100" and I have a library called "libby" with a function called "funk".  Inside of funk there is a variable "boo" that will *always* be foo/2.  My question is, what is the approach that would allow the computation to happen only once even though funk is called many times in the sketch.

For example, is this a valid approach?
Code: [Select]

Sketch:
#include <libby.h>
const byte foo=100;
libbyClass libbyObject;
setup(){}
loop(){
libbyObject.funk(foo);
}

libby.cpp:
#include "libby.h"
libbyClass::libbyClass(){}

void libbyClass::funk(byte var){
static byte boo=var/2;
}

libby.h:
#ifndef libby_H
#define libby_H
#include "Arduino.h"

class libbyClass{

public:
  libbyClass();
  void funk(byte var);

};
# endif

Thanks!

PeterH

I'd have the sketch pass in the value through a constructor or configuration method, and design the sketch so that the value was only passed on once. In your example, calling funk() repeatedly from loop() doesn't make sense; it would be better called once from setup(), or pass the value in via a constructor argument.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

memotick

I'd have the sketch pass in the value through a constructor or configuration method, and design the sketch so that the value was only passed on once. In your example, calling funk() repeatedly from loop() doesn't make sense; it would be better called once from setup(), or pass the value in via a constructor argument.

I think I understand how to make the computation in the constructor, however I am not at all clear how I should declare the variable "boo" in the libby.cpp and libb.h if I take that approach.  Could you provide some guidance?

Thanks

Nick Gammon

Like this:

Code: [Select]

class libbyClass
{
private:
 const byte boo;

public:
 // constructor
 libbyClass(const byte fubar) : boo (fubar / 2) { }

// some method
 void funk();

};

void libbyClass::funk()
 {
 Serial.println (boo);
 }

const byte foo=100;
libbyClass libbyObject (foo);

void setup ()
 {
 Serial.begin (115200);
 libbyObject.funk ();
 }  // end of setup

void loop ()  { }

Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy