Go Down

Topic: Arduino Due sketch compiling problems (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Clym5

Feb 09, 2013, 11:43 am Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 12:15 pm by Clym5 Reason: 1
Hey there,

I recently bought an Arduino Due for a project that needs copious amounts of RAM and flash memory and when I went to compile the sketch for it and the IDE instantly returned an error saying:

Code: [Select]
fatal error: avr/io.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

It also does this for avr/pgmspace.h too, and when I upload the trimmed-down version of the code onto my UNO, I get no error. I'm using version 1.5.2 of the IDE.

I've only had my UNO for a few weeks, and my Due for a day, so I'm pretty new to all this, and if the problem is super-obvious, you'll know why I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for reading and thanks even more if you can help!

Krodal

I think you don't have to include those files at all.
Or do you use specific avr gcc functions ?

Clym5

The sketch doesn't work without them, on an UNO that is. Is it different on a Due?

Or do you use specific avr gcc functions ?

I've go no clue what that means. That's how new I am to all this.

The code I'm trying to get to work is the PCMAudio Library, to play sounds from flash memory.

Krodal

I think that library will not work with the Arduino Due.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/PCMAudio
If you want to use the PCMaudio, use an Arduino Uno.
The code is made compatible with the Arduino Mega, but the Arduino Due is something else.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue

The PCMAudio library uses code like this: "TCCR2A |= _BV(WGM21) | _BV(WGM20);". That is directly writing the registers of the avr chips ("avr" are the microcontroller family made by Atmel used in most Arduino boards). But the Arduino Due uses a ARM microcontroller with other registers.

Clym5

Feb 09, 2013, 02:06 pm Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 02:09 pm by Clym5 Reason: 1
Ooh, okay. Thanks for your help Krodal.

Is there any way to get more program memory on an Arduino UNO? 256K+ instead of 32K?

Krodal

Feb 09, 2013, 02:14 pm Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 02:50 pm by Krodal Reason: 1
Yes, the Arduino Mega 2560 is still the same "avr" family.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardMega2560

You could add a SD card shield, if you need to store and retrieve lots of data.
Or an ethernet shield with SD card socket included.

Clym5

Awesome, thanks. I might start a new thread later, I need some help with generating tones of varying pitch and waveform.

PaulS

I might start a new thread later

If you do, and it is in this section, don't forget to read the sticky at the top first, where it says "POST YOUR CODE!"

Nick Gammon

I recently bought an Arduino Due for a project that needs copious amounts of RAM and flash memory and when I went to compile the sketch for it and the IDE instantly returned an error saying:

Pity you didn't post the sketch, eh?

Read this before posting a programming question

Is there any way to get more program memory on an Arduino UNO? 256K+ instead of 32K?

No. The Uno has an Atmega328P processor in it, and the "32" in its name says it has 32 Kb of program memory.

Go Up