Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Struggling to understand the basics of a 7 segment display common anode  (Read 1019 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have built something similar to this.

My LED works fine. The problem is I do not understand how the circuit works. The anode side, display pins 3 and 8, receive power. Lets say for now I have pin 2 of the display going to pin 2 on the arduino board.

Now in my mind the pin 2 on the arduino board should complete/ground the circuit. However the program sketch uses pinmode(2, OUTPUT) and I use digitalWrite(2, HIGH) to turn on that specific led.

How does the cathode side of this CA 7-seg display work?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:02:12 pm by crosson » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Cathode needs to be LOW for a segment to turn on.

Perhaps it common cathode & not common anode?
Since you show what you think is the common anode connected to 3.3V, and the LEDs turn with 5V from an output pin, that would suggest a common cathode part.
Try moving the 3.3V connection to 5V - if the LEDs no longer turn on, that would prove my conjecture out.
Move the connetion to Gnd instead, and you should see working LEDs with improved brightness.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

You were right. I was blinking the leds confusing myself. To confirm I turned all leds on by letting it remain on digitalWrite(2, LOW). Also tried your experiment and you were double right. So when I set the Write to LOW does that send power in that direction?

Faraday Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

See attached images

* 7seg.jpg (141.1 KB, 561x469 - viewed 24 times.)

* CCCA.jpg (24.4 KB, 455x267 - viewed 21 times.)

The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up! That goes for me too.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

See the common cathode diagram above - writing your outputs  high source current into the anodes to turn the segments on.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Incidentally the 3V3 rail isn't a good choice for LEDs since

a) Low current only, might not be able to drive many segments at once
b) A bit too low a voltage for blue and white LEDs - may only be able
   to light up dimly...

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Jump to: