Go Down

Topic: Arduino UNO r3 - ATMEGA328P-PU flashing bootloader (Read 2792 times) previous topic - next topic

xcottos

Hi all,

I'm new to Arduino microcontrollers and last week I bought an Arduino UNO r3 with an ATMEGA328P-PU processor.

I was able to create a simple circuit (with the related sketch) with a button and a LED that turns on.

What I would like to do is using it as an HID keyboard sending characters to the computer depending on buttons pressed.

I followed the instructions in mitchtech.net/arduino-usb-hid-keyboard/ and the first problem I encountered was that dfu-programmer (I'm using linux) didn't work for my processor; anyway I was able to flash the bootloader (Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex) with avrdude using the following command:

avrdude -p m328p -P /dev/ttyACM0 -c arduino -U flash:w:Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex -v

the output of the command seems nice

avrdude: Version 5.11.1, compiled on Oct 30 2011 at 10:37:28
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyACM0
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Arduino
         Description     : Arduino
         Hardware Version: 3
         Firmware Version: 4.4
         Vtarget         : 0.3 V
         Varef           : 0.3 V
         Oscillator      : 28.800 kHz
         SCK period      : 3.3 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as 0
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex"
avrdude: input file Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (4022 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.65s

avrdude: 4022 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex:
avrdude: input file Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex contains 4022 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.52s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 4022 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

but when I unplug and plug again the Arduino the command that I'm sending through the Serial.write instruction still doesn't send anything through the usb port (and I can verify through the serial console that the command is sent since if I use the ASCII code of the character (that's different respect to the HID character I have to use) I can read the character expected)

Something makes me think the bootloader has been reset to its original version since I was able to continue upload my sketches through usb and accordingly to many sites I read that shouldn't happen anymore once the new bootloader is installed.

What am I missing? Do I have to short circuit in some way the reset pin is on the board?

Sorry if the question seems stupid but as I said in the beginning I'm just a newbe..

Thanks in advance for any clue

Luca

westfw

What am I missing?

There is no way to make an Uno be an HID keyboard by loading a sketch ONLY onto the atmega328p, because the 328p does not have any usb capabilities at all; that's handled by a separate chip.

There are two ways that you MIGHT be able to do what you want:
1) in addition to the sketch on the 328p, also burn new code into the Uno's USB processor (an ATmega16u2) that makes it behave like a USB HID instead of (or in addition to?) a serial port.  I've never done this; I believe that it involves DFU and shorting some pin/pad near the 16u2 to get it into boot mode.  (it has nothing to do with the 328 bootloader, though.)

2) Use a Leonardo instead; this is a single-chip Arduino board that has built-in USB capabilities.

xcottos

Thank you very much for your reply,

I had the feeling I was missing some basic concepts (the possibility of burning new code into the ATmega16u2 processor and the absence of usb capcbilities of the 328p)

I will go more in deep for 1) and if I will be stuck for too long I will switch to 2)

Thank you very much

Luca

xcottos

Hi westfw,

I wanted to tell you that I was able to flash the new code (Arduino-keyboard-0.3.hex) into the 16u2 processor and now it acts as an HID USB keyboard :)

I followed the great post in http://cjdavies.org/?tag=atmega16u2

Thanks again for pointing me out the right direction

Luca

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy