Go Down

Topic: Can I add LEDs to small electronics when they originally had none? (Read 774 times) previous topic - next topic

jpro

I am a bit new to this but I had an idea to add an LED light to a portable CD player that would come on when the CD started playing. I opened up the case and found a switch that detects if the lid is opened or closed. If the lid is detected as closed, the CD player will power up and begin playing. I wanted to add an LED light that would come on whenever the lid was closed. However up until this point I have only wired LEDs in where there is a larger power source that is easily accessible and the circuit was not hampered with other things (the components on the board of the player). Again, I am fairly new to this so maybe this isn't a huge issue. The CD player runs on 4.5v and I have it working with either batteries or an AC adapter. Can this be accomplished with the voltage that low? Not to mention with all the other components in there. I am thinking if I wire it somewhere around that lid switch it might work but I don't know where to draw power from.

Boffin1

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Boffin1

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Runaway Pancake

Yes, you can do that - if you can figure out how ("aye, there's the rub.")
A couple or several milliamps for an LED probably won't tank your player.
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Go Up