Go Down

Topic: Dad's Lab management (Read 532 times) previous topic - next topic

NI$HANT

Feb 20, 2013, 07:26 am Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013, 07:34 am by NI$HANT Reason: 1
This is how he keeps some of his resistors

there's a cap somewhere in the fumble, i think a cockroach may also be there  :smiley-mr-green:

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

Boffin1

Looks like a good selection of values there,  and its good for us old farts to excercise our eyesight now and again :-)

NI$HANT

Looks like a good selection of values there,  and its good for us old farts to excercise our eyesight now and again :-)

:P  :)  8)
He says its easy in this way for a experienced eye to fastly get resistors of any values from the bunch

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

Boffin1

After 50 years of using resisitors, I have to struggle to remember the colour code if I am asked, but I could just look at the resistor and know ts value - but that was before they moved to 1% and started adding another band !!!

NI$HANT

but that was before they moved to 1% and started adding another band !!!

The same happens with dad nowadays!

Here's another thing dad gave me a very old WireBound resistance he calls, haven't seen this before he showed me, he grabbed one of these almost a Decade ago!

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

Boffin1

We used to carry round similar " droppers" in our tool box when fixing TVs in the 60s !     
All the heaters ( filaments ) of the valves ( tubes) were wired in series and run from the mains supply, and the dropper dropped the extra voltage - all the TV valves ( tubes) had the same current heaters - 300mA.

And now I am bulding stuff with a 3 volt supply !!!

NI$HANT

We used to carry round similar " droppers" in our tool box when fixing TVs in the 60s !     

That's great my dad used to first Fix Radio's + High grade premium watches like RADO/SWISS and then with additional learning and experience he started repairing and finally Making complete TV sets, this is the talk from 70's to 90's in India.

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

Go Up