Go Down

Topic: How fast ist client.wirte() on MEGA (Read 2087 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterH

That's exactly what I'm asking for. What's the speed of client.write() in respect to serial3.read() setting up by 115200bps.

Forget client.write(). It is your serial output which is causing the problem.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Forget client.write(). It is your serial output which is causing the problem.

Are you saying the SPI is to slow? Is it not running a 4Mhz?

SurferTim

Feb 11, 2013, 03:31 pm Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 03:41 pm by SurferTim Reason: 1
Forget client.write().

That is unwise. Both should be taken into account. The serial speed is the limiting factor here, but do not penalize yourself by not optimizing both interfaces.

edit: PeterH is correct about the speed limit. You can't send characters faster over the ethernet than you are receiving them on the serial port.

PeterH

Feb 11, 2013, 03:51 pm Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 03:54 pm by PeterH Reason: 1

Are you saying the SPI is to slow? Is it not running a 4Mhz?

No, I'm saying that SPI is irrelevant to your problem.

Your problem is caused by the fact that the output serial stream is congested, which is preventing you from servicing the input serial stream. Both of these are massively slower than the SPI bus; the SPI bus is not the problem.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Okay, now we are deeply in the processors design.
I understood the protocol speed is not the limit in my use case (stream von NanoSerial->Serial3 on Mega->SPI MegaOut->Ethernet). Limiting is the processors handling of each buffer. And this is in same speed. With the fact of handling spi-transfer for each char, the code requests more processor time for serial out (over SPI) than the serial3.read on input site. Hence, the buffer goes full.

What options do i have? 1. speed up serial out handling in the processors register or 2. speed up serial spi sending with buffer as coded above?

SurferTim

PeterH is correct. I said the same in reply#10. The SPI will handily outrun the serial port.

For example, you can't load a dump truck with bricks using a wheel barrow, then complain that the dump truck isn't delivering bricks fast enough.

PaulS

For example, you can't load a dump truck with bricks using a wheel barrow, then complain that the dump truck isn't delivering bricks fast enough.

You can if you only put one brick in the truck at a time, as OP is (or was) doing.

My request is based on the lots of tutorial and literature out there where people write simple code as this to show, how client.print will work. It seems to me, I got one level higher in integration...

Thanks all for your replay. I will try some code with the buffer.

SurferTim

I see many examples that use client.println() calls in a non-optimized fashion, as I described earlier. If you are sending one character at a time that is input by skinware on a keyboard, both serial and ethernet can handily outrun that. If the serial port is fed by an automated program that can send constantly at the 115200 speed, I recommend optimizing all interface code as I described above. It all counts.

PeterH

I understood the protocol speed is not the limit in my use case (stream von NanoSerial->Serial3 on Mega->SPI MegaOut->Ethernet). Limiting is the processors handling of each buffer. And this is in same speed. With the fact of handling spi-transfer for each char, the code requests more processor time for serial out (over SPI) than the serial3.read on input site. Hence, the buffer goes full.

No, no, no. I don't understand why you keep bringing SPI into the problem. It is nothing to do with SPI. It is nothing to do with the CPU speed, or anything requiring knowledge of the processor's design. This is purely about your code reading and writing to the hardware serial ports.

You have code that reads from one hardware serial port, Serial3. For each character it reads, it writes multiple characters to a different hardware serial port, Serial.

This means that it will generate more output than input. Assuming (and we have to assume, since you haven't POSTED YOUR CODE) that the two hardware serial ports are configured similarly, the output buffer will soon fill up. The implementation of the Arduino hardware serial library is that when the output buffer for a serial port becomes full attempts to write further output block (stop) until there is space for the output to be buffered. This means that for each character received, the Arduino will stop and wait for three characters to be transmitted before it tries to read the next character. In other words, it's now only capable of processing the incoming serial stream at a third of the speed it's arriving at. As soon as the receive buffer fills up, the excess input will be discarded.

PaulS

You have code that reads from one hardware serial port, Serial3. For each character it reads, it writes multiple characters to a different hardware serial port, Serial.

Only for debugging purposes. The real intent of the program is to read serial data from Serial3 and send it to a client. That uses SPI. So, the question of the speed of SPI vs. the speed of Serial is a quite legitimate one.

Of course, as has been seen, the issue of SPI speed is not the limiting factor. It is the overhead of packeting one character at a time that is/was the problem.

PeterH

Only for debugging purposes. The real intent of the program is to read serial data from Serial3 and send it to a client. That uses SPI. So, the question of the speed of SPI vs. the speed of Serial is a quite legitimate one.

Of course, as has been seen, the issue of SPI speed is not the limiting factor. It is the overhead of packeting one character at a time that is/was the problem.

Granted that it's only for debugging purposes, but it is having the effect of throttling the whole sketch to the speed of the output stream, which will result in the input stream overflowing.

I don't see any reason to suppose that the overhead of packeting one character at a time over SPI is causing any problem. The Ethernet interface, and the SPI bus used to access it, and the processor which is performing the work, are all capable of dealing with far greater throughput than the serial stream.

Nick Gammon

To answer your direct question, I have a summary of protocol speeds here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=10918

See this also:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=10892&reply=4#reply4

There I calculate that the maximum rate of clocking out SPI bytes is 888,888 bytes per second.

However as others are trying to tell you, this is irrelevant.

First, the Ethernet card probably doesn't operate at that speed. Even if it did, it would not be able to send Ethernet data that fast, probably.

Then we have the more major issue that your debugging displays are almost certainly the issue.

No, we are not.

We are wasting time because you are posting tiny snippets of code, jumping to a conclusion about what they mean, and refusing to post all your code.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

here we go: latest and greatest with 2 issues:

1. Serial3 stream to client
2. Reset to setup() after client.stop(); as gifen with serial.print of the initial IP address only in setup();

Code: [Select]

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>
struct ETH_REQUEST_OBJECT {
  unsigned int device;
  unsigned int command;
  char value[11];
};

// Enter a MAC address and IP address for your controller below.
// The IP address will be dependent on your local network:
byte mac[] = {0x90,0xA2,0xDA,0x00,0xE9,0x86};
IPAddress ip (192,168,178, 7);
byte gateway[]= {192,168,178,1};
byte subnet[] = {255,255,255,0};
byte dSS[] = {192,168,178,2};

EthernetServer server(80);
EthernetClient client;
unsigned long start;
ETH_REQUEST_OBJECT eth;

const char SERIAL_START ='[';
const char SERIAL_END   =']';
const char SERIAL_SEPARATOR =',';
const String HTTPHEADER= "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\nContent-type: text/xml\n\n<?xml version=\"1.0\" standalone=\"yes\"?>\n<FMS>";
const String HTTPFOOTER = "</FMS>";

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);
  server.begin();
  Serial.print("System ready:\nIP: ");
  Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());
  ETHrestOBJECT();
}

void loop() {
  delay(5);
  // check GUI request
  ETH();
  // check DOOR event
  DOOR();
  // start automatisation
  SYS();
}

// ========================
// L E V E L  1    M A I N

void ETH() {
  client = server.available();
  if (client) {
    ETHreadREQUEST();
    if (eth.device==250) {
      DOORwriteCOM();
      DOORread2ETH();
    }
ETHrestOBJECT();
    client.stop();
  }
}

void DOOR() {
  //check for any event such as door access by ID [010000BA24A2A2]
  while (Serial3.available()) {
    c=Serial3.read();
    if (c==SERIAL_START) continue;
    if (c==SERIAL_END) continue;
    if (c==SERIAL_SEPARATOR) continue;
Serial.print(c);
  }
}

void SYS() {}

// ===============================
// L E V E L  2   E T H E R N E T
// ===============================

void ETHrestOBJECT() {
  eth.device=eth.command=0;
  eth.value[0]='\0';
}

void ETHreadREQUEST() {
  byte i=0,tCount=0; 
  char tBuf[41];
  char *pch;

while (client.connected()) {
      if (client.available()) {
        char c = client.read();
        if(tCount < 41) {
          tBuf[tCount] = c;
          tCount++;
          tBuf[tCount] = 0;             
        }
        else {
          while(client.available()) { client.read();}
          pch=strstr(tBuf,"dev=");
          if ( pch!=NULL) eth.device=atoi(pch+4);
          else eth.device=0;

pch=strstr(pch,"com=");
          if ( pch!=NULL) eth.command=atoi(pch+4);
          else eth.command=0;

pch=strstr(pch,"val=");
          if ( pch!=NULL) {
            pch+=4; //scip 'val='
            while ( pch[i]>='0' && pch[i]<='z' && i<10) { // end with ' '
              // accepted values:  ASCII mit ::;>=>?@ und [\]^_ยด
              eth.value[i]=pch[i];
              i++;
    }
    eth.value[i]=0;
          }
          else eth.value[0]=0;
          break;
        } //got buffer filled
      } // available
    } // connected

} // function

void ETHreportERROR(int code, String text) {
  // ERROR VALUES
  // 01.. This runtime
  //   02.. ETH
  //   03.. DOOR
  //   04.. SYS
  // 1... RFID System
  // 2... RS485 Member

ETHrestOBJECT();
  client.print("<ERROR><code>");
  client.print(code);
  client.print("</code><message>");
  client.print(text);
  client.print("</message><device>");
  client.print(eth.device);
  client.print("</device><command>");
  client.print(eth.command);
  client.print("</command><value>");
  client.print(eth.value);
  client.print("</value></ERROR>");
  client.println(HTTPFOOTER);
  client.println();
}

// L E V E L  2   D O O R

void DOORread2ETH() {
  char c;
  byte i;
  char tBuf[4];
  unsigned int counter=0;
  client.print(HTTPHEADER);

while ( Serial3.read()!=SERIAL_START && counter<0xFF ) { delayMicroseconds(50); counter++;}
  if (counter==0xFF) { ETHreportERROR(301,"RFID System down"); return; }

c=Serial3.read();
  if (c=='E') {
    for (i=0; i<4; i++) {
  tBuf[i]=Serial3.read();
}
    ETHreportERROR(atoi(tBuf)+1000, "RFID System Error");
    return;
  }
  else {
    client.print("<DOOR><item>");
    client.print(c);

while (Serial3.available()) {
      c=Serial3.read();
      if (c==SERIAL_END) break;
      if (c==SERIAL_SEPARATOR) {client.print("</item><item>");}
      else {client.print(c); }
      //delay(20); // wait for NANO sending data to buffer, 1byte is 80microseconds
      //Serial.println(Serial3.available());
    }
    client.print("</item></DOOR>");
    client.println(HTTPFOOTER);
  }
  return;

PaulS

Code: [Select]
const String HTTPHEADER= "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\nContent-type: text/xml\n\n<?xml version=\"1.0\" standalone=\"yes\"?>\n<FMS>";
const String HTTPFOOTER = "</FMS>";

You just insist on ignoring the advice to get rid of Strings. Why?

Go Up