Go Down

Topic: Dead arduino uno? (Read 388 times) previous topic - next topic

t3rror23

hi i reecently came across an issue with my arduino which i hope is not too servere. when i try to upload a sketch i get the error message: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" in addition to that, the atMega chip gets extremely hot(to the point where i have to remove my finger). im not sure if thats normal as ive never touched it before. please help!!

Coding Badly

...in addition to that, the atMega chip gets extremely hot(to the point where i have to remove my finger). im not sure if thats normal as ive never touched it before...

That is not normal.

Other than a USB cable, what is connected to your Uno?

CrossRoads

Usually when that hot, an IO pin has been damaged, and it's just a matter of time until the chip dies. Or it's dead already.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

t3rror23

right now absolutly nothing...i tried uploading a sketch with nothing plugged in and still....tried it on a different pc and same thing:?

CrossRoads

Sounds dead.
Does the loopback test work?
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html
If yes, time for a new chip
Here's one source with low shipping costs
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/CPU-ARD328P
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

t3rror23

ahhh okay well il try the loop back test (which ive never heard of before so it may take a while to figure out haha) and otherwise...there is a place that sells the ATMEGA328-PU but not the 328P...are those okay as a replacement?

CrossRoads

Not for a beginner - have to fool around with signature bytes to program them. Once get past that, they are nearly identical.
You have a way to install a bootloader? If not, at least get one bootloaded part to start so you can use the Arduino as a programmer for blank parts.

t3rror23

okay i understand. another shop nearby sells one ass follows "ATmega328 with Arduino Optiboot (Uno)" for quite cheap... it doesnt specify 328P nor the -PU at the end but if its pre loaded could it work? otherwise il go for the one you suggested?

Coding Badly

Go Up