Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best way to add wifi to an arduino controlled power switch  (Read 1249 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I am trying to develop a power switch that will control a 240V power outlet (as described in https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/119) and I need to add wifi to the whole mix.  Besides putting a WiFly shield on each board, are there any other cheaper alternatives?  Would it be better to connect a raspberry pi to the arduino and have the pi do all the database storing data (like when it was turned on and off)?

Thanks

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

If you wanna add a Raspberry Pi, what do you need the Arduino for then?

Besides putting a WiFly shield on each board, are there any other cheaper alternatives?

Using an RN-XV WiFly Bee would be cheaper but also adds more complexity to your project.

Earth
Edison Member
My browser no longer is binding static IP, Floating is the way to go.
View Profile

a lot of people have good luck with wifi router load openwrt, a common one is TP-Link TL-WR703N.

TP-Link TL-WR703N
CPU Atheros AR7240 400Mhz
802.11 b/g/n 150Mbps (130Mbps real)
4 MB flash memory
32 MB RAM
USB 2.0 port (High-Speed only, use an external High-Speed hub for Full/Low-Speed devices)

TP-Link TL-WR703N cost 90.00 RMB/15.00 USD at Chinese market, You could get it from ebay for 20.00 USD

TP-Link TL-WDR3600
Ethernet: Atheros AR8327N Gigabit Switch
CONCURRENT DUAL BAND WIRELESS 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5GHz 300Mbps
CPU AR9344 (MIPS)/560 MHz
USB 2 x 2.0
8MB flash memory
128 MB RAM
Power Suply  12V/1.5A

I got mine for 40.00 USD from newegg onsale few weeks back, It run openwrt with arduino very well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: