Go Down

Topic: TI is competing with the MCP430 LaunchPad (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

TchnclFl

Hmmm I hope they got my email correctly.

If not, at least they'll have my Address.

If you get an email saying they shipped it, please let me know.  If I don't receive one, I'll give them a call.

copiertalk

eev blog puts his thoughts out there. Interesting watch from a couple of prespective. The video I saw mentioned the IDE was limited until you had the launchpad device and he kind of leads you to think the other direction.

Stong language warning for those with sensative ears or young people around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZJo3a3yJ_0&NR=1

westfw

Jun 25, 2010, 06:32 am Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010, 06:36 am by westfw Reason: 1
The video I saw mentioned the IDE was limited until you had the launchpad device

My interpretation is that the IDE is "limited" in the amount of code it will produce, but that limit is several times larger than the largest chip that the launchPad board will hold anyway, so there are no relevant limits involved.

eev blog
So much time spent delivering so little content.  Sigh.  A bit of a shame, since he frequently has reasonable things to say (I thought his entry on Arduino was particularly spot-on, for instance.)  I really don't like the current trend of delivering "content" via video... :-(

Senso

In my opinion eev blog is so stupid annoying and crappy that I cant understand why so many people see that thing..
And that 15 years btiching and moaning that he cannot spell duemilanove, who cares?..

Ran Talbott

there is a gcc compiler, were just unsure of its current state

I have a copy of msp430-gcc built from CVS about a month ago.  The '2211 and '2231 versions of the chip included in the new kit aren't on the list of supported processors,  but it's possible they're close enough to some of the many that are that you could either use a different model number or easily add support.

One word of warning for Linux users:  it appears that the driver for the TI USB-serial chip bricked my eZ430 dongle by downloading inappropriate firmware.  Be very careful when experimenting, because the driver can do this without warning,  just because you plugged the unit into the bus.

Ran

copiertalk

In my opinion eev blog is so stupid annoying and crappy that I cant understand why so many people see that thing..
And that 15 years btiching and moaning that he cannot spell duemilanove, who cares?..

let me know when when you have your video blog set up so I can tune in and check it out.

kenjj

Yeah, I just _tried_ watching 5 of the EEV blogs. I quit in the first minute of two of them (starting with his take on the TI offer), but managed to make it through two of his multimeter reviews and his "expose" on why to never buy a $20 Chinese meter (duhhh!). He must be the only guy to take a camera to bed so he can wake up and critique his wet dreams.

As for TI, I'm at a loss at how such a powerhouse company suddenly decides flooding the market with cleverly (a -430 for $4.30, ooh!)priced dev board is going to drive newbies to their door and generate the next big wave in "the processor yuh just gotta have"! Wozniak marketing it ain't.
Then again telling people I have a module that uses a Renesas chip leads to blank stares. But it sure is fast, and the IDE is free!
Later.
kenjj

Osgeld

Jun 26, 2010, 06:06 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 06:10 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
it would not have killed him to read the front page of the wiki, I overestimate 40% of his uh duh moments are on the front page

and to anyone who is wandering TI does this occasionally, though in the past mostly through regional publications and not with boards  :D

westfw

If you can get a bunch of people, even hobbyists, who might have ordered some "free sample" chips and then sat there staring at it wondering how to make them go, it instead spend $5 on a development board and actually DO something with it, I think that counts as a marketing win.   Now, I don't know if the launchpad is going to achieve that kind of success (the MSP430 IDE is no "Arduino"), but it COULD.  Maybe.

knuckles904

I ordered 2 and got the confirmation and backorder emails. Honestly @$4.30 ill probably give one set away if i dont like em. I didnt see any reason not to give it a try.

pluggy

Jun 26, 2010, 07:57 pm Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 08:00 pm by stephen_t Reason: 1
Cheap enough to get one to play with, its no great loss if it isn't up to much.  They must be losing a fortune shipping 'em free to the UK and the rest of Europe.

Of course TI have deep pockets for marketing tricks like this..... :)

TchnclFl

Jun 27, 2010, 11:54 pm Last Edit: Jun 27, 2010, 11:54 pm by Tchnclfl Reason: 1
When you go to TI's Order Status page and enter your confirmation number, does it work?

When I enter the one I was given over the phone, all I get is the same page with the text:

Unable to find E-Store Order #

written above the text field. :(

Also, the charge seems to have been completely removed from my account :|..

TchnclFl

Well, I called again today, and it seems that they had the wrong email address :P.  It's been corrected now though.

I forgot to ask about the charge to my account, I'm going to email them about that now.

Go Up