Go Down

Topic: Powering Arduino directly from 5V 20A supply (Read 538 times) previous topic - next topic

ysub

Newbie question: Sorry I have looked around but can't seem to find a definitive answer (possibly because there isn't one), I'm not being lazy!

If I have a high power 5V 10A regulated DC power supply like in the link below can I power a strip of LEDs and my Arduino directly using the 5V pin? I've seen both yes and nos. Is it more of an "at your own risk" deal? It seems a bit of a shame to have to have two power supplies for one project, especially as I've got 5V right there!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-10A-50w-Aluminum-Case-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-/180830871609

Oh, and just a safety note, those types of power supplies seem quite dangerous with the live connections on the outside like that, I assume I just need to put it in a project box to keep it safe. It's surprisingly hard to find 5V 10A power supplies in a sealed container in the UK.

Thanks.

johnwasser

There is some speculation that using a regulated 5V supply on the +5V pin might possibly damage the 5V regulator.  I don't think it has ever happened and since you don't plan to use the regulator anyway, it doesn't really matter.

I would go ahead and power the Arduino through the +5V pin.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy