Go Down

Topic: Encoder of motors (Read 423 times) previous topic - next topic

Abdielll

Hello, Im Abdiel, and I need to read an encoder of a motor with arduino, I have 4 signals,  A,A' and B,B' , my question is, Can I use the arduino board to read an enconder, i heard that is possible with interruptions, but i dont know how to do that, and i dont know if the frequency of the interruptions is enough to read my encoder, What's the frequency of the interruptions, Help me please.

johnwasser

If you keep your code short you may be able to get 1,000,000 interrupts per second.  If your encoder is 200 pulses per revolution that would be 5,000 RPM.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

MarkT

Those outputs are likely to be differential pairs, so that the A' signal is the inverse of the A signal,
similarly for B and B'.  This is done to allow reliable reception over long cables in a noisy environment.

You may be able to just sense the A and B signals.  You will find many other threads here about
decoding these quadrature encoders, but my first advice would be use a multimeter to see what
voltage levels the encoder outputs (sometimes differential signals are low voltage, sometimes sensors
use open-collector outputs and require external pull-up resistors to get a usable signal.

You can also find out how many transistions per revolution too...  But perhaps you have the model
number and can point us to the datasheet for the encoder?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up