Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Impossible to instal UNO REV3 on Win7U x64  (Read 1230 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi there. Got my UNO REV3 today and I've tried every single guide I could find from choosing the inf from the folder (which doesn't work, at all. It says it's incompatible with win7x64) to choosing drivers from the list (which doesn't include the Arduino drivers anywhere. It just isn't there).
So there I am, pissed as a goat almost smashing the contraption to shreds with my mighty horns. Nothing is working, the Arduino LLC driver isn't in the list, can't choose the inf file because it only gives errors…

I'm lost, what to do folks? The red LED on pin13 is blinking on and off when I connect it as well as the LED indicating that it's on is lit. No response from the RX and TX LEDS and the software can't find it, of course…
The device is still Unknown for Win7. I've tried different usb ports too.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:13:13 am by thetoillmainn » Logged

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Go to "Start" and type "devmgmt.msc" in the search box and hit "return".
You should have the device manager.
With the Arduino plugged into a USB port, what shows under "Ports (COM & LPT)"?
Does the window refresh if you unplug the Uno?

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

W9LZ
View Profile

The R3 should show up in Ports (COM & LPT) in the Device Manager tree.  The driver that is installed on my Win 7 64 bit machine is Driver Version 5.1.2600.0.  Make sure you pick the driver that is NOT in the FTDI USB Drivers folder.  My path is: C:\arduino-1.0.2\drivers\Arduino UNO.inf    Open and run it. Shutdown (to initialize the driver) and check Device Manager again. It should indicate that your UNO is listed in the Ports section.

Good luck

Austin, TX
God Member
carpe diem
View Profile

Where did you purchase your UNO, provide a link if possible?

View Profile

As said in the first post, I've tried updating the driver through device manager, which says it's an Unknown device. Everything works perfectly fine on my laptop with Win7U x32. I got it from eBay, but it's the original one from this website. Not a reproduction.

Austin, TX
God Member
carpe diem
View Profile

The Arduino team has created a test version of the signed drivers.
This will be included in the next version of the IDE, but you can download it from here:

http://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino_drivers_win_signed_test1.zip

W9LZ
View Profile

The dog jumped on my keyboard and deleted my overly elaborate response!

Here's the summary...
Go to Device manager, find the USB roots and the Generic USB roots. Uninstall all 4 of them. Don't worry, when you reboot, they'll come right back. But this will clear up any garbage in there. Reboot your system. Go to the C:\Arduino 1.02\drivers folder. Double click on the Arduino UNO Rev3.inf file and it will install. Plug your UNO in, it  should be happy.

PS the 'red led' says 'counterfeit' as I've recently found out myself.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:12:25 pm by Learning » Logged

View Profile

Louis:
Drivers didn't work. I installed them and still no luck…

Learning:
Already tried that, didn't work. I tried installing the inf earlier but all I get is a message telling me it's not compatible with 64bit windows. The new signed drivers installed fine, but not working.

Everything works fine on my shitty laptop, but not on my desktop comp. It wont accept anything but Unknown Device. Using my laptop for Arduino is a pain in the buttocks, I have to get it working on my desktop somehow.

Austin, TX
God Member
carpe diem
View Profile

What is the Hardware ID for the Unknown Device?

Go to Device Manager
Right Click Unknown Device
Select Properties
Select Details tab
Change Property to Hardware Ids
What is displayed under Value?

View Profile

What is the Hardware ID for the Unknown Device?

Go to Device Manager
Right Click Unknown Device
Select Properties
Select Details tab
Change Property to Hardware Ids
What is displayed under Value?

USB/UNKNOWN

Austin, TX
God Member
carpe diem
View Profile

Since your desktop is not even able to enumerate the USB interface and get the hardware ID from the device, it will not be able to install any drivers for it.
Even if you don't have drivers installed, the system should still show the hardware ID, that is how Windows is able to match the driver to the device.

Is there something unique about your desktop USB interfaces?
Are they USB 3.0?
Do you have multiple USB ports? Have you tried all of them?

I am out of ideas, at this point.

Until your desktop system can enumerate the device and read the hardware ID, you will not get the driver installed.

W9LZ
View Profile

More questions, does the desktop make the 'failed device connection sound' when you plug in the USB cable? Have you tried the same cable that works on the laptop? I'm like Louis, at a loss for where the problem is. My Arduino and the same 'red led' clone work on both my Win 7 64 bit laptop, and desktop. Are your USB drivers up to date?
Do those desktop ports work with several other devices? Mouse, Keyboard, webcam, etc.?

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I'm lost, what to do folks? The red LED on pin13 is blinking on and off when I connect it ...

I got it from eBay, but it's the original one from this website. Not a reproduction.

I just checked with Massimo Banzi. You have a fake. They never put a red LED on pin 13 on the Uno.

If the vendor claims it is original I would complain. Alternatively, you might find the device driver that works with the USB chip firmware they put on it. If you have another one, or a ICSP programmer, you might be able to re-flash the USB chip.

View Profile

Louis:
No USB3 in use, all ports working on anything else. Tried all of them with the UNO without luck, using the same USB cable.

Learning:
No sound, just the message. Using the same cable, works with no problems on my laptop.

Nick:
Good to know it's a fake at least, I was wondering about the red LEDs. Apart from them the board looks 100% authentic and works with no problem on my laptop.

Seems this is impossible to fix, I'll get another board and test that. Thanks for all the help folks! If you've got any other suggestions I'm happy to try them out.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

As I said, reflashing the firmware on the USB chip (assuming you have the 6-pin ICSP header near the USB socket) may solve your problems. Can't promise though.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: