Go Down

Topic: Distance measurement between 2 Arduinos (potentially using XBee) (Read 530 times) previous topic - next topic

boileroo

HI all

I am looking to develop a system to facilitate distance measurement between 2 Arduinos over a range of ~50ft to an accuracy of ~1ft. The 2 Arduinos will be mobile and the position and orientation relative to each other will vary, therefore techniques relying on line of sight and directionality are out.

I will be setting up an XBee network to allow for communications between the modules, and was hoping to calculate distances using these somehow?

I have considered using the XBee RSSI to calculate an approximate distance, however research has led me to believe that this will have very poor accuracy at best and more likely simply won't work. I have also considered a system based on radio time of flight (ping from Arduino A to Arduino B and back, time taken * speed of light = distance) however due to the speed of RF waves and the Arduino clock speed this is simply not feasible over such short distances.

Does anyone know of any alternative techniques that may be of use to me here? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

zoomkat

I am looking to develop a system to facilitate distance measurement between 2 Arduinos over a range of ~50ft to an accuracy of ~1ft. The 2 Arduinos will be mobile and the position and orientation relative to each other will vary, therefore techniques relying on line of sight and directionality are out.

Very frequent forum project issue. Haven't seen any solution that would normally be simple and affordable in a hobby context.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

boileroo

I was afraid this was the answer and was hoping I had missed something! Thanks for your input

Go Up