Go Down

Topic: IDE 1.8.0 Released -- update: 1.8.7 (Read 96120 times) previous topic - next topic

pert

pert, what theme are you using at the moment?
It's funny, I've created three themes and updated two more which had been broken by changes in the Arduino IDE some years ago:
https://github.com/per1234/ino-themes
but I actually just use the standard Arduino theme. Although I don't have the best vision, it works fine for me. However, I understand that the standard theme poses severe accessibility issues for some users, which is why I took the time to learn how the Arduino IDE's theme system works and documented what I learned:
https://github.com/per1234/ThemeTest

I did use my "Arduino-retro" theme for a little while, but only because it's kind of fun to have a modern Arduino IDE that looks like the version from 2006.

i just had a look at your https://github.com/per1234?tab=repositories , and saw some of your code in your libraries.
very legible and quite good syntax-highlighted.
Thanks! I try to make my projects very accessible. Even if nobody else benefits from it, I know I'll appreciate it when I come back to work on them after a long time.

could you point me at the thread on that subject? i'm a noob on this forum - i don't know how to search it very well yet. :-)
This was the original discussion, where it first became possible to edit libraries in-place using the Arduino IDE:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3512
I was using the Arduino IDE to edit libraries before that, but I had a hacky system where the edited libraries were in a separate folder (so that they were not read-only) and then I had a program running that watched that folder for changes and then copied the modified library to the libraries folder.

It's difficult to find information on the forum because there are just so many threads. It's really not a good way to store knowledge, which is unfortunate since there is a huge amount of valuable information buried in all the noise here. I found a few relevant threads:

I know the topic has come up quite a few times other than that. The discussion ends up being about the same every time. Someone either asks if it can be done or complains that it can't be done, people recommend their favorite editors or alternative IDEs, I give my spiel about how to do it in the Arduino IDE.

JustRoger

I run Arduino IDE from the Raspberry Pi B; it is version 1.0.1.

I have run the update and upgrades from sudo but the version remains the same.

I downloaded the Arduino 1.8.7 Linux Arm zip file.

Two questions: Is the Linux Arm the right version when running from the Pi?
                       Are there any step by step instruction for update IDE with the zip file?

Believe me I looked for a long time and couldn't find any information.

Regards,

JustRoger

pert

I have run the update and upgrades from sudo but the version remains the same.
The Arduino IDE version in the package manager is extremely outdated due to insufficient licensing documentation in the more modern versions of the Arduino IDE:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/7380
I thought it was Arduino IDE 1.0.5, but regardless, you should never install the Arduino IDE from a package manager (e.g. `apt-get`). Always download the official version from http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software.

Is the Linux Arm the right version when running from the Pi?
Yes.

Are there any step by step instruction for update IDE with the zip file?
How about the ones I already gave you earlier today?:
  • Download the latest "Linux ARM" version of the Arduino IDE from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
  • Right click on the downloaded file and select "Extract Here". The folder arduino-1.8.7 will be extracted from the downloaded file.
  • You can move this folder to any convenient location on your drive.
  • To start the Arduino IDE, run the file arduino-1.8.7/arduino.

There is also an install script but it's not necessary to run that. It just creates a shortcut on your desktop.
Believe me I looked for a long time and couldn't find any information.
If you're going to ask for help here on the forum, the least you could do is read the responses from the people trying to help you. I probably spent at least 5 minutes writing that reply because I actually booted up my RPi to make sure I got it right. There are plenty of other things I could spend my Saturday doing.

JustRoger

Geez don't be so harsh.  I did come back but couldn't find any replies; my fault because of noobi to the forum.  However I do appreciate the reply.

JustRoger

Well Pert,

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it and have successfully installed the latest revision.  When trying to upload a sketch it is asking me for a port but I think I can figure that out.

Again, I am a noob and apologize for not seeing your first reply.

Regards,

JustRoger

JustRoger

OK Pert,

Of course the port problem was resolved easily and my sketch compiles successfully.  However during the upload I get an error:

/home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.7/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /home/pi/Desktop/arduino-1.8.7/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude)
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

I went through the sudo apt-get update and sud apt-get upgrade but the error still persists.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Just Roger

JustRoger

Well I decided to update from Wheezy to Jessie because of the GLIBC error I was getting during uploading after installing Arduino IDE version 1.8.7.  Did a lot of online research and decided that this would solve the problem.  There may be an easier way but I couldn't find it.

Just finished and everything and I am now able to use Arduino IDE 1.8.7 to successfully compile and upload. 

Again thanks for the help Pert.

If anyone is interested here is how I made the transition:

1. Backed up my sketches to a stick.
2. I made sure Wheezy was up to date by running the following commands:

%sudo apt-get update
   %sudo apt-get upgrade
   %sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

3. Substituted Jessie for wheezy in files: source.list, collabora.list, and raspi.list with the following commands
   %sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
   %sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/collabora.list
   %sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list

4. Rebooted the Arduino
    %sudo reboot

5. Now updated Jessie

%sudo apt-get update
   %sudo apt-get upgrade
   %sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

6. Confirmed that the Raspbian version is now Jessie:

%hostnamectl

It now lists Jessie.  I was able to successfully compile and upload sketches using Arduino IDE version 1.8.7

Now I am a noob at this and appreciate the support of Pert and the online documentation provided by LINUXCONFIG.org and raspberrypi.stackexchange.com.  I basically combined all the information received into the procedure above.

Again I have only been using the system for a short time after these changes and it appears to be working fine but only time will tell.

Additionally, when prompted during the long process I just selected the default options (hitting return) assuming they were default for a reason.  Some of the other options may be better but I just stuck with the default.

pert

I'm glad to hear it's working now. I had turned on my RPi to look into this but you solved it before I had gotten around to it. It wouldn't have helped anyway since I'm using Raspbian Stretch.

Enjoy!
Per

lucky1

hello friends
iam form Egypt and i just have received Arduino and LCD with a lot of pins
idon't know how to start
any help ??

rpt007

First of all: Welcome to this forum.

What LCD, what Arduino ????

Before we can give you precise assistance, pls start with reading the guidelines of this forum and come back with your question(s) in a way that we don't have to ask our crystal balls what you might have in mind.  :smiley-confuse:
Before you ask:
Did you really read and understand How to use this forum ?
AND:
Do you have already some solution or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?  :)

Go Up