Go Down

Topic: IDE 1.6.3 is now available for download (Read 3062 times) previous topic - next topic

Lore759

Hi all,
I found in this version (1.6.3) a compiler's bug: easily the compiler crashes returning the error

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 5 exit status

I use WinXP SP3.

This is an example of code that creates the condition. I made many tests, the problem seems not caused by a "special" command or function.

Code: [Select]

/*
  This sketch makes a compiler's crash (IDE ver. 1.6.3.,
  on WinXP SP3).
*/
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
#include <Bounce.h>

const unsigned int BUTTON_PIN=8;
const unsigned int LED_PIN=9;
const unsigned int DEBOUNCE_DELAY=20;
unsigned long time;  //uint32_t

LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);  // RS, En, D4, D5, D6, D7
Bounce button(BUTTON_PIN, DEBOUNCE_DELAY);

void setup() {
  pinMode(BUTTON_PIN, INPUT);
  pinMode(LED_PIN, OUTPUT);
  lcd.begin(16, 2);  //(columns, rows)
  lcd.setCursor(4,0);
  lcd.print("Clock:");
  lcd.setCursor(0,1);
  lcd.print("Seconds:");
}

void loop() { 
  lcd.setCursor(8, 1);
  time = (millis()/1000);
  lcd.print(time);

if (button.update()) {
     if (button.read() == HIGH) {
     digitalWrite(LED_PIN, HIGH);     
     }
     else {
       digitalWrite(LED_PIN, LOW); 
       } 
  }
}

(For use this code you need to install Bounce library (download here) and you need to change in .h and .cpp files #include "Arduino.h" instead of "WProgram.h")

An older IDE version (e.g. 1.0.5) works properly; this code is compiled without errors.

alwa

Apr 16, 2015, 03:19 pm Last Edit: Apr 24, 2015, 05:41 pm by alwa Reason: Forgot to report this
Westfw about restart problem

Global variable:  char cbuf[5];                           //Character buffer array

I also should add that the binary file size stated at the end of compilation was about 10% smaller than what IDE 1.5.2 gives.

Also want to agree with TerryKing:

"It would be ideal if the IDE positioned the first error message in top of the visible area.

Everything else seems great! Thanks!"

PS: right now, you should be able to create a "portable" 1.6.3 installation on an internet-connected computer, and then transfer that to your non-connected computer.

westfw,

thank you for the workaround and the issue on github.

Ciao a tutti,
IDE 1.6.3 e 1.6.2 non funziona su Windows 7
mentre la versione IDE 1.6.1 viene eseguito in modo corretto.
avete suggerimenti nel merito ?
Grazie
Carmine

iyahdub

I had no problems with it, though havent tested my DUE yet ( though installation of board seemed to have gone smooth) and older sketches with libraries seem to work well. Seems like a great improvement.
One honest question i have, as a confused user, is : Are there any differences affecting any of the boards by this 1.6.3 Version of the IDE and the arduino.org's 1.7.2 ?! I hear of boards giving up warnings and the likes ?!
I hope another knowledgeable user can enlighten this confused user, without the constraints of legal disputes.
* For the record, i think this community is what always made up the ARDUINO name  and THAT no one can disprove in court ;)
10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

paynterf

Hi,

Just installed 1.6.3 in order to access the EEPROM.put() & EEPROM.get() functions, but am having troubles with compilation and uploading

At first I couldn't compile because 1.6.3 couldn't find the compiler.  From another post, I found that commenting out the line 'compiler.path={runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}/bin/' in Platform.txt allowed the compiler to be found properly.

Now I have a problem getting sketches to upload properly.  I have made sure the correct com port is selected under the Tools -> Serial Ports menu, and that the proper hardware (Arduino Uno in my case) is selected.  I have also updated the USB driver per another post, but this did not solve the problem.  The error message is

Compiling 'Wall_E4' for 'Arduino Uno'
Binary sketch size: 7,532 bytes (used 23% of a 32,256 byte maximum) (0.66 secs)
Minimum Memory Usage: 409 bytes (20% of a 2048 byte maximum)
Uploading to I/O board using 'COM11'
The system cannot find the file specified

I am using Visual Micro/VS Community 2013 on a Windows 7/64-bit system, if that helps.  I have tried closing and relaunching VS 2013, and closing/rebooting Windows, but neither solves the problem.

I have verified that the COM port disappears from the list of available ports when the USB connector is removed from the Uno, and reappears when it is reconnected.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Frank

Any thoughts?

hi i have problems to download arduino-1.6.3-windows
since 3 days it give me only 3 Mo after hours of downloding
is there any other mirror or link to download
thank you

Hello there! I have problem with 1.6.3 (and all versions greater than 1.6.0) - most compile ended with error "collect2.exe: error: ld returned 5 exit status". The same sketches compiled OK in 1.6.0. Using WinXP SP3.

mappuji

Hi, Arduino IDE 1.6.3 is great! At least for me. New splash screen and some improvements. I will give feedback soon.

Federico Fissore

kocickamia please using boards manager to upgrade avr core to 1.6.5. Does it solve your problem?
Have you upgraded the Yún? If you've just got it, then it needs to be upgraded! Check out the tutorial at http://is.gd/1jUPNF

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy