Go Down

Topic: What is the function of the RX and TX pins on my UNO? (Read 93 times) previous topic - next topic

vagulus

This newbie is a little puzzled by the seemingly regular practice of connecting an nRF24L01 RF PCB to a UNO using the Digital and Power pins on the UNO.  I have already posted on the board about the possibility of using the ICSP pinset, but now I notice that Digital Pins 0 and 1 are also labelled RX and TX respectively.  It would seem logical that they would have something to do with receiving and transmitting, and that that would mean they should be involved in connecting to the nRF24L01.

Is this just simple newbie ignorance  :smiley-roll: or am I missing something?

Thanks

mart256

RX and TX are indeed for receiving and transmitting data, Serial UART protocol.
nRF24L01 uses another protocol: SPI, and uses other pins on the Arduino (11 MOSI, 12 MISO, 13 SCK).

Then , RX and TX are not involved in connecting Arduino to the nRF24L01.

vagulus

Thanks mart256

We have a case of, "there's no reason for it, it's just protocol!"  :smiley-lol:

I take it that I can forget about using the ICSP pinset for the nRF24L01 - is that right?
As another point of interest, what are the RX and TX pins used for, and are they otherwise available as ordinary digital pins?

LarryD

The Arduino uses D0 RX and D1 TX to talk to your PC example IDE.

You can use these as regular digital pins but you must be aware these pins are connected to on board hardware and this hardware may prevent the pins from working the way you expect.
Also, if you use these in your projects what you connect to them may prevent you from uploading sketches to the Arduino.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

vagulus

Hi LarryD

In other words, "Leave them alone unless you are required to use them!"

Is that the general idea?

LarryD

No technical PMs.

Porama6400

You can use it if you want to use Bluetooth module connect to Arduino (just example), but you will need to unplug anything plug into that port every time you want to program your Arduino because it will interrupt communication between your Arduino and your computer

Anyway you can use SoftwareSerial instead of use it , It will make your life easier if you don't want to use really fast speed communication

Sorry for my bad English skill , hope you understand :)

vagulus

Thanks porama6400 - I'm not using Bluetooth.

LarryD

No technical PMs.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy