Go Down

Topic: USB-capable Arduino-compatible in DIP-24 format. (Read 65 times) previous topic - next topic

technix

Jul 30, 2016, 03:36 pm Last Edit: Jul 30, 2016, 03:45 pm by technix
This board is called Femtoduino. It is a USB-capable Arduino-compatible in a 0.6in DIP-24 format. Since all IP pins are broken out and the board space is really at premium, I have omitted the usual ICSP headers (just plug it into a breadboard to wire up ICSP, or use my ICSP+SD+DAC expansion board that breaks out ICSP and adds a single-channel DAC as well as )

Microcontroller: ATmega16U2 (exactly the one used as USB to UART on Arduino boards, and as Nico Hood have proved, Arduino compatible)
Speed: 16MHz
Voltage: 5V

Pinout:

Code: [Select]

GND -  1 -+-U-+- 24 - VCC
PC2 -  2 -+   +- 23 - RESET#
PD0 -  3 -+   +- 22 - PC4
PD1 -  4 -+   +- 21 - PC5
PD2 -  5 -+   +- 20 - PC6
PD3 -  6 -+   +- 19 - PC7
PD4 -  7 -+   +- 18 - PB7
PD5 -  8 -+   +- 17 - PB6
PD6 -  9 -+   +- 16 - PB5
PD7 - 10 -+   +- 15 - PB4
PB0 - 11 -+   +- 14 - PB3
PB1 - 12 -+---+- 13 - PB2

How do you guys think?

About programming the thing, the bootloader would be HoodLoader2 by Nico Hood and I will ship a separate pins_arduino.h file that uses the DIP24 pin numbering (with pins 0 and 1 kept as hardware serial pins)

Graynomad

Looks good. I like to make small dev boards as well but when I see this sort of thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux

I question the point I have to say. No way to compete with that.
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

technix

Looks good. I like to make small dev boards as well but when I see this sort of thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux

I question the point I have to say. No way to compete with that.
Linux-capable means it have a lot of processing power but not all project need that. (for me if my project does needthose capabilities I would go for Raspberry Pi 3 or Raspberry Pi Zero instead of that) It is fairly restricted in I/O options. And it is not breadboard friendly. (while my Femtoduino is breadboard friendly as it have exactly the same footprint as a 0.6-in DIP-24 chip)

Isaac96

I like HoodLoader :)
So basically a Micro? Why not use a 32u4?
Do not PM me for help.Only links to topics.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

technix

I like HoodLoader :)
So basically a Micro? Why not use a 32u4?
Functionally similar to the Micro, not exactly a Micro. This board is smaller, have less pins, and is in a standard DIP package form factor (read: you can use a standard IC socket for this.) In fact the accessories I designed for it (a ICSP+SD+DAC adapter) used long-pin standard DIP-24 socket as the stacking connector.

The 32U4 in TQFP is too large for the .6-in DIP form factor, gives me selection difficulties in choosing pins to expose (and it is a nightmare to hand solder if QFN packages are involved)

Isaac96

Do not PM me for help.Only links to topics.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

Graynomad

Yeah don't get me wrong, the Fempto looks like a clean design and I like it, and a Linux board is just way too much for many things, not to mention the lack of real IO. All good arguments that I also use, and I'm even working on a similar design myself right now.

But I just get a little despondent when I see these amazing boards for $5 when I'll be lucky to market something for $25 and even then not make any profit.
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy