Go Down

Topic: Merging arduino and shields in one pcb. (Read 88 times) previous topic - next topic

BlackPCB

Hi, so the current project i'm working on for my third year at uni is pretty much done, and i've still got till the end of march to demonstrate it so obviously i still have alot of time. So i've been thinking of possible ways to improve the project (one that i'm working on at the moment is to use a rotary encoder to navigate the lcd menu). Another way i'm thinking to improve it is to ditch the ugly perfboard and somehow merge the arduino  and the shields i'm using all in one pcb (guess which colour pcb i'm thinking of?) to make it look a bit professional. My project has the following components

Arduino DUE
Arduino GSM Shield
Arduino Wifi Shield
DS1307 RTC
Sparkfun 256kb external EEPROM
Sparkfun 4-way 3.3v-5v level shifter
Xbee S1 Module
4x20 LCD
some buttons and leds.

How easy would it be to do this and are there any services that can do this specifically for arduino projects?

thanks

PaulS

so obviously i still have alot of time.
You might be surprised at how quickly the time will go by.

guess which colour pcb i'm thinking of?
Pink with green polka dots and purple stripes.

How easy would it be to do this
Somewhere between "nearly impossible" and "a five minute job", depending on YOUR skills and knowledge. Guess what you forgot to tell us.

are there any services that can do this specifically for arduino projects?
Of course there are. How much are you willing to pay, and how long are you willing to wait? I'll bet that it isn't news to you that there is a direct relationship between the two answers.

KenF

As with any solution you can have it Good, Quick and Cheap.  You have to pick two.

bobcousins

These bits are easy to integrate:

DS1307 RTC
Sparkfun 256kb external EEPROM
Sparkfun 4-way 3.3v-5v level shifter
4x20 LCD
some buttons and leds.

These bits are hard:

Arduino DUE
Arduino GSM Shield
Arduino Wifi Shield
Xbee S1 Module

unless you find pluggable modules and put headers on the board.

Either way, it is probably going to be a big board.

Integrating components onto a PCB for specific applications is basically what electronic engineers do, although some companies do outsource this type of thing. However, you can expect to pay at least 1 Arm + 1 Leg!

I would recommend getting a CAD package like Eagle installed and have a go at creating a layout for some of the easy stuff. Putting all the user interface items onto a board is useful to create a better look, the other stuff can at least be hidden inside a box.
Please don't PM me asking for help. Ask questions in the forum.

Go Up