Go Down

Topic: Arduino IDE: Sketch takes infinite time to compile (Read 75 times) previous topic - next topic

Nathax

Hello,

I have an Arduino sketch with about 50 files (.cpp and .h) and some included libraries
and I am developing for a Teensy 3.1 so I have the Teensyduino addon for the Arduino IDE.

My code compiles fine, if I remove/change some lines.
But it doesn't matter which lines exactly.

For example if there is an array as a member-variable and I change it to a pointer, it doesn't compile anymore, giving me no error, but freezing the compile-process. The progress-bar stays at about 25%.

It seems to me, like the parser/compiler hangs up.

Disabling anti-virus doesn't change something.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

kowalski

I would suggest that you turn on the "Show verbose output during: [X] compiling [ ] upload" in the Preferences. This way you will at least know which file or what compiler step that fails.

Cheers!

Nathax

I did so and the last command executed is a compile command of the file where I changed the array to the pointer.

Code: [Select]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -O -g -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -nostdlib -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=123 -DARDUINO=10604 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SmartMatrix_32x32 -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SdFat -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED C:\Users\<MyUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\build1576159909913431304.tmp\Test.cpp -o C:\Users\<MyUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\build1576159909913431304.tmp\Test.cpp.o

kowalski

Then the next step is that you show in detail the changes you made. You can also do a web search if this is a known compiler error. There might already be a patch or a workaround.

Cheers!

Nathax

Private class-variables from (compiles):

bool a[34][34];
    bool b[34][34];   

To (does not compile):

bool* a;
    bool* b;

Edit: Well, I forgot to make two "*", since it is an 2d-array. But why doesn't the compiler gives me an error?

Works:

bool** a;
    bool** b;

kowalski

You also need to provide code that shows how the member variables a and b are used.

Do you know how a vector or matrix is layed out in memory?

"bool**" if read out is "a pointer to a pointer to a boolean value". "bool*" is "a pointer to a boolean value". "bool" is not a bit. The compile cannot know that the pointer is to a matrix of boolean values.

Or did you translate the code to a pointer to a vector of pointers to vectors of boolean values?

For more details please see http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/arrays/

Cheers!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy