Go Down

Topic: DIYino - an Arduino compatible board for prop electronics (Read 24318 times) previous topic - next topic

Protonerd

Payment sent for one prime! :-)
Got it! I will send it out in the coming days! What are you up to with the board? Just curious...:)

dannyc09

Got it! I will send it out in the coming days! What are you up to with the board? Just curious...:)
I'm doing a custom saber build.  Made a nice green led string!

jamesgreen

Are these only supporting led string blades or can they be used for hilt illuminated sabers as well?

AardvarkSagus

In-Hilt, string blade, or Neopixels. It'll work for all of them.

Void269

Protonerd, how goes the first run of the Stardust board?  I'm very interested in getting one!  Do you have a price point thought out?  Also, you say it is not a stripped down version of the Prime and has more features, is there a reason someone would choose the Prime over the Stardust?

Protonerd

I thought I share this one with the Arduino community first, as it all started out here:

Stardust v2 User Manual

Yes, the Stardust v2 is finally there! I have been doing a lot of breadboarding and actual field testing in a lightsaber and so far it works perfectly.

A quick reference guide of the new features:
[Full USB integration]: one interface to interact with the board, the integrated micro-USB port is used to 1. upload code 2. charge a single Li-Ion or LiPo battery 3. upload sound files to the MP3 player/SPI flash 4. see below  :)
[USB kill key]: the v2 can be wired to enable a so called USB kill key feature, which allows a complete shut-down of the board in case USB is connected
[K3 technology]: the v2 does not need a kill key, with its current consumption of 0.3mA in sleep mode it retains selve life for a long period of time. With a 3000mAh 18650 battery your blaster prop discharges the battery in (3000/0.3=10000h=416 days, which equals to over a year!!!
[Single battery use]: the V2 runs off a single 3.7V battery without the need to boost the voltage. You can use a voltage source up to 5V or a DC-DC booster still if you so choose. Thanks to the powerful 3W audio amp the v2 still retains superb sound quality and volume at 3.7V supply.
[Breadboard friendly design]: the v2 is fully breadboard friendly
[USB charging port]: the V2 can be used to charge a single Li-Ion or LiPo battery cell with 250mA according to the standard CCCV charging profile, thanks to the integrated USB charger circuit. The board will come with an on-board micro-USB connector as well as an extrenal, small size micro-USB breakout board to be able to place a port to anywhere in your prop design.

Legacy features:
- based on the successful DIYino Prime v1 design for lightsaber props
- Arduino Compatible board, configured as Arduino Uno to leverage the additional code space of the Uno bootloader
- smal size to fit into any blaster prop (W x L x H = 21mm x 51mm x 5mm or 0.82" x 2" x 0.2")
- can be intergated with neopixel stripes for the barrel running lights as well as RGB high-power LED modules (Cree, Luxeon, etc.)

Void269

Sounds amazing!  How would I go about buying one? Also, I'm planning on putting the board in an E-11 stormtrooper  blaster that I'm building and one of the features I want to integrate is a push-pull solenoid to give a little force feed back when the trigger is pulled. Any thoughts on how I would wire it up?

Protonerd

Sounds amazing!  How would I go about buying one? Also, I'm planning on putting the board in an E-11 stormtrooper  blaster that I'm building and one of the features I want to integrate is a push-pull solenoid to give a little force feed back when the trigger is pulled. Any thoughts on how I would wire it up?
Are you in the 501st?

With the push-pull solenoid do you refer to a buzz-motor (haptic feedback, vibration motor etc.)? If yes, it's quite easy, depends on the current. I have some small ones which can be driven from a digital I/O. But then it's more or less an on/off kind of thing. If you want to control the vibration speed, you could connect it to a PWM signal.

As to getting one, I'm now having the first bigger batch manufactured, might take another month or so to get the parts.

Void269

Are you in the 501st?
I am not.  I have always been a huge fan of Star Wars but never had the time or money to really dig into it as a hobby. But I'm starting to get there. I got into 3D printing which has opened up a whole new world of possibilities!

With the push-pull solenoid do you refer to a buzz-motor (haptic feedback, vibration motor etc.)?
Nope, below is what I'm talking about. Its what arcade games like the Terminator Salvation use to give force feed back. The one I'll use obviously won't be as powerful though. I will need to wire it up so it gets a single pulse of power when the trigger is pulled. I'm thinking of some sort of Relay if the board doesn't have something that would handle that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018HX0R2W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497882474&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=push+pull+solenoid+6v&dpPl=1&dpID=41CpMvWQ%2BNL&ref=plSrch

As to getting one, I'm now having the first bigger batch manufactured, might take another month or so to get the parts.
I await with great anticipation!

Protonerd

Nope, below is what I'm talking about. Its what arcade games like the Terminator Salvation use to give force feed back. The one I'll use obviously won't be as powerful though. I will need to wire it up so it gets a single pulse of power when the trigger is pulled. I'm thinking of some sort of Relay if the board doesn't have something that would handle that.

I await with great anticipation!
OK, I got it! Actually I personally think that a buzz motor would give you also a satisfactory kick, but by all means experiment - that is why we are all here - and let the community know how it worked out.
One tipp: for some lightsabers I got chance to build in a VECO bass speaker. It is bug (28mm), powerful, and rumbles in such a way that even a buzz motor gets obsolete.

Void269

OK, I got it! Actually I personally think that a buzz motor would give you also a satisfactory kick, but by all means experiment - that is why we are all here - and let the community know how it worked out.
One tipp: for some lightsabers I got chance to build in a VECO bass speaker. It is bug (28mm), powerful, and rumbles in such a way that even a buzz motor gets obsolete.
Yeah, a buzz motor is plan B  if this doesn't pan out. I will defiantly post the results. I just picked up a Soundtraxx 27mm bass speaker. Not sure how it will perform but hopefully it will do as well as your 28mm!

Say, do you have a pre-order yet for the Stardust?  If so I'd love to get on it.  X-D

Protonerd

Yes, I guess it's time to start a pre-order list. Let's do it simple, all who are interested in getting a Stardust please drop here a message to this thread. I will get back to you as soon as I have the boards. PCB manufacturing begins tomorrow.

Void269

As I'm sure you have already guest, put me down for  1 (for now...one project at a time ;-) )!

vrpc

Yes, I guess it's time to start a pre-order list. Let's do it simple, all who are interested in getting a Stardust please drop here a message to this thread. I will get back to you as soon as I have the boards. PCB manufacturing begins tomorrow.
I'm very interested but would like to know the price point.

Protonerd

Albeit the many new features and the higher test efforts I was able to reduce the manufacture costs further, so I'm happy to tell that the Stardust v2 is going to be launched at an even lower price than the Prime.

The cost for one board will be 54 EUR

Go Up