Go Down

Topic: Optical tachometer for the FIRST 2016 challenge (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

tuskiomi

Hello, all!

This is just to post something that I've done in the past year with my robotics team. For those of you who are unfamilliar (Especially those who are still young), FIRRST robotics is a leagur in which a group of engineers from NASA come up with a game defined by a set of rules. The robotics team then will construct a robot that will play that game best. One of the things that the robot could do is shoot foam balls up into a goal for points.

Our team decided to persue this and came up with a flywheel design, something simmilar to so:

However, these launchers are not very consistent, and I wanted to make the machine more accurate. Being the lead programmer, I developed a solution. I made a self contained tachometer using a laser and a photodiode. You can see it worknig in this video:
Video of tachometer working.

I had it working so that the arduino put out the speed in revolutions per second. IIRC, our top speed was about 27 revolutions per second. Insanely fast for the size and mass of this wheel.

It's certainly not a high quality project, but I'd like to put this out there for anyone attempting to do the same thing.

Isaac96

Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy