Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATMega @ 3.3V. Can a normal 16/20Mhz crystal be used?  (Read 789 times)
More Cowbell
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Probably a dumb question, sure hope so.  Can a normal through-hole crystal which works great on a 5V project generally be used for a 3.3V project or is there a special requirement?  I bought my crystals on the cheap and I don't have a datasheet. 

Thank you for any information.

Vexatious Sampler

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

If you are talking about an atmega328p then the maximum supported clock speed @ 3.3V is 13.33MHz. In practice, you may get away with using a 16MHz crystal. The crystal itself doesn't care whether you run the microcontroller from 5V or 3.3V.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

More Cowbell
Edison Member
View Profile

If you are talking about an atmega328p then the maximum supported clock speed @ 3.3V is 13.33MHz. In practice, you may get away with using a 16MHz crystal. The crystal itself doesn't care whether you run the microcontroller from 5V or 3.3V.

Thanks.  I have some slower crystals - 12Mhz and 8Mhz so I guess I will use those to be safe.  Speed is not super important, the sketch has delays in it already.  The MPU I want to use is a 328P-AU (TQFP).

Vexatious Sampler

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

8MHz will be easier as you won't have to compile a new bootloader, there are pre-compiled ones for 16 and 8MHz, but not 12 AFAIK

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

More Cowbell
Edison Member
View Profile

8MHz will be easier as you won't have to compile a new bootloader, there are pre-compiled ones for 16 and 8MHz, but not 12 AFAIK

I am planning on using my AVRISP2 and programming the chip directly without a bootloader.  I don't think that will be an issue using this route.

Vexatious Sampler

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

If you don't mind running at 8 MHz use the internal oscillator and then you don't need a crystal at all.

More Cowbell
Edison Member
View Profile

I just got around to building this and when I switched it from the internal oscillator to the 16Mhz crystal it bricked the 328P-AU.  I forgot about the details on this message so I desoldered that chip and put another one in and left it on the internal oscillator.  I guess I can solder the bricked chip onto one of the other boards and try it with a slower crystal.  Bad luck I guess.  DOH.

Vexatious Sampler

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: