Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Russia gets hit by meteor and watch a flyby live  (Read 2519 times)
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

And if the asteroids and meteors don't get us...
http://news.yahoo.com/higgs-boson-particle-may-spell-doom-universe-152236961.html

I'm so depressed. All the diodes on my left side hurt.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

A much larger asteroid trundled past between the Earth and the geostationary satellites on the same day. Was that complete coincidence or did they come from the same direction?

Apparently there is a fairly large one that currently has a 1% chance of a hit in 2048.

The odds of a hit in a populated area are low, but I doubt NASA can give strike positions accurate enough to be really meaningful.
Apart from the difficulty of accurately calculating trajectory once the thing enters the atmosphere surely there must be a large random factor ?

Maybe they could say an asteroid will hit the East coast of USA and the blast might be 2M tonnes, but is that helpful?

It seems there may be loads of entire planets cannon balling through space but again the chances of getting hit are slim.

Shannon Member
:(){:|:&};:
View Profile

It seems there may be loads of entire planets cannon balling through space but again the chances of getting hit are slim.

patriot like missile(It is designed to detect (heat), target and then hit an incoming missile that may be no more than 3 to 6 meters long and is typically flying at three to five times the speed of sound)? If they can hit n ICBM i thing they can hit a meteorite. Also they will hit when in the atmosphere, so with a bit of luck will help the reentry compression destructive force.

sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Was that complete coincidence or did they come from the same direction?
Complete coincidence, different directions (AFAIK)

Apparently there is a fairly large one that currently has a 1% chance of a hit in 2048.

Do you have a link ?
Have you ever looked up the chance that an average person is involved in a deadly accident the coming 35 years?

The odds of a hit in a populated area are low, but I doubt NASA can give strike positions accurate enough to be really meaningful.
IIRC only 5% of the land is populated. so chances are indeed low (but you never know)

To get a feeling of the distances/timing about strike positions some simple (rounded) math.

The earth rotates around the sun.
Distance 150.000.000 km.
So the orbit is 1.000.000.000 km  (2*PI*distance)
That distance is done in a year = 365 x 24 x 60 x 60 seconds = 31.536.000 seconds

So the earth moves about 31.7 km/sec in its orbit.  (mind you that is ~3x faster than it rotates at the equator. ~93x speed of sound)
The earth has a diameter of ~13000 km
That means after ~7 minutes the earth is moved one earth diameter in its orbit.

So the difference between a full hit and a full miss is about 3.5 minutes.

That means you need to have the trajectory exact up to that order of magnitude to know for sure.

suppose you detect a big stone flying 5000 km per hour +- 0.1% (so accurate on 5 km per hour, that's pretty accurate)
suppose the stone is heading earth and it is detected while it has the same distance as the moon 385.000 km (pretty close)

Then it will take between ~4615 and ~4625 minutes before it reaches earth.
the difference of 10 minutes is enough to move the earth 1.5 earth diameter
==> so even a 0.1% speed accuracy is not enough to be sure about the hit when detected at moon distance.

Maybe they could say an asteroid will hit the East coast of USA and the blast might be 2M tonnes, but is that helpful?
Depends on when they can tell, besides evacuating the target area (which might be impossible) one could at least evacuate the coast of Europe as there might be a tsunami (squared)

But they have an eternity to do so...

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

If they can hit n ICBM i thing they can hit a meteorite.
Hitting the meteorite is not the problem, the problem is that it will react quite differently based upon its composition.
Some meteorites are loose connected pebbles while others are almost compact stone/metal and many are something in between.
So the patriot will definitely "interact" differently (to say the least)

And imagine what the debris can do when shot to pieces, one medium meteor hit causes another kind of damage than a million (relative) small ones.

Rob Tillaart

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Patriot missile vs 17m diameter iron-rock boulder that can take a 300 to 500 megaton shock and keep on going is going to do just what?

A candle to outshine a nuke blast....

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Shannon Member
View Profile

you are adding a candle to a 300 to 500 megaton shock, and i've written a patriot-like... we have bigger missile, just to give an idea that if we can see them coming we CAN do something..

And helping the initial blast to break the meteorite is the best idea, in the hope smaller fragment will "burn" faster and not hit the ground

(sorry for my bad English)

sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

300,000,000 x 2000 lbs TNT equal +plus+ 200 lbs (if that) TNT equal....... such a difference the plus makes!

But we don't SEE the rock until there is no time to launch. And good that is because somebody would get the bright idea to shoot 100 megaton nukes at it!

That rock over Russia was a little pebble compared to the one that went by. Please, get an idea of the scale of sizes, speeds and distances involved. You might as well carry an umbrella in old Pompeii as to shoot any missile that takes less than a day just to fuel at a rock big enough to be a problem. 

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Mark Twain has already provided the solution...
http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/learnmore/writings_tom.html

With a little help from MIT...
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/deflecting-an-asteroid-with-paintballs-1026.html

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

That would be the asteroid with the orbit that's slightly inside Earth's so moves a bit faster.
I'll leave that unfinished.

Earth
Webmaster
View Profile

dont you guys know yet? they all were part of the debris that planet nibiru left after going thru the asteroid field. more is coming. nibiru passes thru it twice on its way around the sun. i can get killed off for the info i know.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nibiru.now/

Webmaster living off grid in a camper with 300watts of solar panels charging 9 absorbed glass mat 12V batteries. i own about 40 dot coms. i

Shannon Member
View Profile

wow that explains everything. Thank you to risk your life to save us from the dictatorship of the media and Masonic.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
View Profile

And helping the initial blast to break the meteorite is the best idea, in the hope smaller fragment will "burn" faster and not hit the ground
If we see the meteorite in time(!) we can add a rocket to it and just deviate its trajectory so it crosses just after earth.
Not pulverize but guide it ==> No worries if "pebbles" will hit the earth and burn or not.

If we do not see it in time to do that nuking it might be the best option, not frontal but from the side so it changes its trajectory so it will miss earth is possible

By nuking it from the side we can try to guide the place(s) of impact to a place with least "impact".

Rob Tillaart

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

We should be capturing and mining those rocks, not throwing them away. But to capture a mountain moving at orbital speed will take more than anything made so far.

Niburu... is an asteroid that follows Earth orbit about 60 degrees (2 months) ahead of Earth. Check with NASA on that, they found it and named it years ago. It is small compared to an unworn mountain and doesn't have any way to break out of orbit and go sailing around half the solar system while changing size and mass.

It's also the name that total airheads attach to their psychotic fantasies and con-artists use to play on the stupid with. Oh noes! The UFO's are coming, a Niburu and a whole mini-solar system! Stock up on water and don't forget to BUY OUR BOOKS!

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
View Profile

But to capture a mountain moving at orbital speed will take more than anything made so far.
Given enough time one can bring any (almost) asteroid in orbit by attaching rockets to it.

But picking those that almost have the right orbit will be most fuel efficient.

Rob Tillaart

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: