Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Russia gets hit by meteor and watch a flyby live  (Read 2517 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

But to capture a mountain moving at orbital speed will take more than anything made so far.
Given enough time one can bring any (almost) asteroid in orbit by attaching rockets to it.

But picking those that almost have the right orbit will be most fuel efficient.

I agree about the time element. But if the rockets don't use some of the asteroid for the main reaction mass (and solar power) there's no way to afford lifting enough to make a real difference.

Maybe there's a way to use solar sails even. MIT students suggest using white paint to force asteroids to higher (slower) orbits for safety but to me that's just setting up future problems.

Even if we catch one, that's a lot of inertia to go positioning about. I'd park the thing behind Earth on the orbit and work it there, not try to put it in orbit here.
Maybe in 200 years the operation could be routine if we don't lose the capability to wars.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

I agree about the time element. But if the rockets don't use some of the asteroid for the main reaction mass (and solar power) there's no way to afford lifting enough to make a real difference.
They probably should otherwise it will be VERY expensive (although the alternative is too)

Maybe there's a way to use solar sails even. MIT students suggest using white paint to force asteroids to higher (slower) orbits for safety but to me that's just setting up future problems.
Solar sails will work up to a certain distance in the solar system. Check the site of the planetary society, they are busy with such a thing.

Painting the thing white (for 50% !) will cause the "gas bursts" first on the dark sides giving it direction. There is however a serious "risk" you need to repaint several times.

BTW,  "gas bursts" include stone and dust can damage solar sails.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Gas burst on the sun side, solar sail on the other after the spin has been stopped otherwise the sail just becomes wrapping so you don't need dark sections... howzit gonna hit? I think the sail would have to be furled before passing through comet paths to avoid being shotgunned as the bigger problem. Old spacers can reminisce about times through the Perseids and Leonids centuries after scifi writers wrote about old spacers reminiscing about it.

I also have to wonder about the lifetime of meteoroids ablating that aren't already known comets. The light stuff has value in not having to be hauled into orbit but not compared to the rich strikes.

Given the precious metals market it's easy to see that the haves will go schizo between wanting to grab up any big discoveries and wanting to suppress any chance of such an upset in their fortunes. Oh well, the big dogs will fight and the little dogs will take sides. No change there.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: