Go Down

Topic: Copying a sketch from a microcontroller (Read 2129 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to copy a sketch from another microcontroller  to your pc to edit

magagna

Sort of, but not really. Given enough effort you can get the binary machine code off the chip and into a PC editor, but (A) it won't be easy, and (B) it won't be pretty.

What you're asking for is the equivalent of saying "here's a cake; how can I get the eggs back out".
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magagna <-- My last name.  Pretty apt.

bobthebanana

Getting the machine code back out is easy with atmel studio or avrdude if you have an isp programmer. There's no way to get the c code back though

retrolefty

What you're asking for is the equivalent of saying "here's a cake; how can I get the eggs back out".

I like that one a lot.  ;)

Lefty

modeller

Not really - he doesn't want the eggs, he wants the cake recipe.

retrolefty

But his is the funnier sound bite.  ;)

modeller

But his is the funnier sound bite.  ;)

True, true ... :P

GDH5

So is there a tutorial somewhere on how I can use atmel studio or avrdude to read the data from a chip? I'm really interested in seeing if I can reverse engineer things like that...

fungus

So is there a tutorial somewhere on how I can use atmel studio or avrdude to read the data from a chip? I'm really interested in seeing if I can reverse engineer things like that...

Just grab a .hex file from any old sketch and start from there...after that you can move onto unknown sketches.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Erni

Take a look at6 the AVRDude tutorial here
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/avrdude.html

Example:
This will copy the hexfile from arduino to the file test.hex

avrdude -pm328p -Pcom20 -carduino -D -U flash:r:test.hex:i

CrossRoads

Jul 16, 2013, 03:58 pm Last Edit: Jul 16, 2013, 04:01 pm by CrossRoads Reason: 1
@GDH5,
You might be better off compiling a known sketch, then look at the .hex file that was created and see if you can work backwards from there.

There are decompiler programs such as this
https://www.hex-rays.com/products/decompiler/index.shtml

You can search for an 8-bit AVR version, some links here maybe:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5141177/atmel-avr-disassembler
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

GDH5

Thanks for all the advice guys... So if I understand this correctly, I will be able to read the code from the chip, and create a hex file with its contents.

Then I should be able to use that hex file to program a new board, right? And assuming all the hardware is wired up the same, it will be an exact copy?

Also, once I have the hex file, can I convert it to C, so I can read its contents?

Erni

Then I should be able to use that hex file to program a new board, right?

Yes, in the example above you could do something like this:

avrdude -pm328p -Pcom20 -carduino -D -U flash:w:test.hex:i

r - read from flash
w - write to flash

Ofcource you will have to ensure that the fuses are the same

fungus

Also, once I have the hex file, can I convert it to C, so I can read its contents?

No.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy