Go Down

Topic: Another Room Automation project (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlcox89

Hi,
I need some opinion about a project i have in my mind - Automating my room
What i have in my is, create some nodes (custom arduino pcb with NRF24L01) and connect each to different things like lamps, sockets, existing arduino rfid door lock, tv, etc.
And have a master node that sends/receives to each of those nodes, and is also able to communicate with the outside (internet) so i can use any android mobile to control my room.
My main question is how that master node(custom made pcb) would be and i thought of some different approaches:
Master node with ethernet shield and nrf24l01 chip together (dunno if thats possible) i know that nrf24l01 uses pins 9,10,11(MOSI),12(MISO),13 (SCK) could that be a problem using ethernet shield with it ?
Master node with nrf24l01 and connected to existing pc via serial connection (having a webserver at my pc, and send commands via serial to arduino)
Any other better solution?

afremont

Have you looked at the XBee stuff?  Cost seems comparable, but the XBee seems allot more functional especially the series 2 stuff with mesh network ability.
Experience, it's what you get when you were expecting something else.

Carlcox89

Xbee is out of question... i can build a mesh network with nrf24 which price is like $2 per chip, xbee is a lot more expensive.
I just need opinion about how would be the master node, with ethernet shield and nrf24 chip or just the nrf24 chip and connected to computer (always on, of course) with webserver etc. Or if there's any better option to do it

PeterH

Have you looked at the XBee stuff?  Cost seems comparable,

An XBee costs about ten times as much as an NRF24L01+.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

afremont

I just got a quick cost estimate from Olimex' prototype boards and they ran in $20+ range which is what the XBee modules cost.  I really think this is a case where you get what you pay for, especially if going with series 2 and a mesh network.  Implementing your own self-healing mesh network is no trivial matter.  And then there is transmission range.
Experience, it's what you get when you were expecting something else.

Go Up