Go Down

Topic: Beginner - 30x9 LED board (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

shiznatix

I am trying to build a 30x9 LED board which would be able to scroll inputted messages as well as have a couple basic animations saved in memory.

I have my LED board soldered together using the trick described in this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwP3EVPzrkk

This still takes up a ton of I/O pins, leaving little else - which is fine but if there is some trick around this, that would be cool.

Anyway, I am having 2 problems with this setup:
1) I have to turn off all rows except the one that I am blinking with each iteration but I can't find a way to actually do this programatically. The only thing I can find is to turn all rows to input mode "input" and then turn the current blink row to "output" mode - otherwise things get screwy. This actually works but it seams to be quite slow since you can visibly see the LEDs blinking (sort of a seizure mode). Is there a way around this?

2) I wrote the original program to support a smaller LED array and it worked just fine. After I scaled it up, my program quickly ran out of memory. My program was using the String class which I have read is a real memory hog but I was wondering if there were any already written programs for such a project. Or should I just convert the String(s) to char(s) and rewrite everything that way?

Lastly, is there any type of hardware the could aid me in such a project or is just a standard Arduino with jumper wires and LEDs all I need?

CrossRoads

Got a schematic of things are wired up now?
Ideally could be like this: Arduino driving anodes connected in parallel across the 9 rows, with 4 TPIC6B595 shift registers used to sink current from the 30 columns.
Multiplex it  by writing the anodes, sinking a column.
Write the anode, sink the next column.
Repeat across the display. 
Hold each column for ~1mS for ~30Hz refresh rate.

The message to be displayed can be stored to & read from EEPROM, easy to make it quite long.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

shiznatix

Feb 14, 2013, 05:16 pm Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013, 05:44 pm by shiznatix Reason: 1
The way it is wired up is really quite simple (see attachment)

My knowledge of anodes and shift registers is nill - any easy tutorials on these?

Edit: Also, is there a way to limit the number of I/O pins used (currently at 24) somehow?

CrossRoads

Sure, use daisy chained shift registers -  3 pins to control the 30 columns and 9 rows.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

shiznatix

Great. I have been able to find a local store that has those specific shift registers but I don't know anything about anodes and all I can find when searching is switches / dials that are anodized.

Is there a specific product number for an anode that would work for this and if so, how many anodes would I need?

CrossRoads

Anode/cathode refers to pins of the LEDs.
Current flows from the anode (+) to the cathode (-).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy