Go Down

Topic: Need help running this 7-segment display (Read 135 times) previous topic - next topic

Sep 05, 2015, 09:44 am Last Edit: Sep 05, 2015, 09:47 am by scorpionma
Hello people as u can see this is my first post here ;D
i bought an arduino uno and some equipment with it (ran all the basics and proggraming)
i didnt find a 7-segment display though i had an old device that had one
so i removed it but i really dont know what to do with it
the 7-segment display is 5631bh(chinise data sheets so couldnt really understand)
it has a 3 pnp transistors(3 digits)
already have resistors
here is some pics

i already did some small projects like using an ir reciver to controll the arduino/timed led etc etc
Thanks alot people of ardiuno
and sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum
Edit:it has 3 pnp transistors so it is a cathode display?

the blue box is a potentiometer for the lights (ligher/darker)
its a red led

You seem to have mislaid the all-important IC "U2" which is the correct way of operating it.

umm nope
it wasnt attached to any usb thing
and no icu2 was attached eaither
what i need help with is someone to look at the data sheets and help me wire them ;0
thanks though

and no icu2 was attached either
Well, that's funny, because something has clearly been removed from the position marked "U2" and it is not entirely clear how judging from the appearance of the solder.

And you did say you removed it from "an old device" so the question is - how, and what did the rest of the device look like?

Sep 05, 2015, 04:23 pm Last Edit: Sep 05, 2015, 04:25 pm by scorpionma
removed from a soledring device
and even if it did have a u2 is there any way to use it without it?
the solder was previuos tries to run the screen which my friend did(It worked for him)
I thank u for your posts though
if no one could help me ill just look deeper in the datasheet and ill figure it out myself

So, it worked for your friend, eh?

Well, he clearly traced out the circuit, which is what you need to do.

You said PNP transistors.  You will find the emitters connect to the positive supply terminal which you can connect to your 5 V.  The bases of the three transistors will each have a resistor to one of the "U2" terminations and there will be a resistor from each segment cathode of the LED also to U2.  If you connect the 5 V up to the board, you can take two ground wires and probe them as a pair to one of the base resistor points on U2 and one of the cathode resistor points; one of the segments will light up.  All connections are made to the "U2" pinout, you do not need to connect to anywhere else.

This will allow you to identify the connections to allow you to connect those points to your Arduino in the correct order.  Your code will then pull one transistor line low at a time while it pulls the corresponding segments low.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131