Go Down

Topic: Liquid Level Sensor (Read 141 times) previous topic - next topic

AlejandroIceman

I am a home beer brewer, and looking for a way to automate a part of the bottling. I have a bottle filler that only flows when the filler touches the bottom, and stops when it is touching nothing.

The concept is simple, lower the bottle filler into the bottle to the bottom so it starts filling, and have a liquid sensor attached to the filler. So when the sensor reads a full level, it lifts and the filling stops.

I've thought about using a scale but the bottles aren't always the same weight so it wouldn't really work. The solution I want to use is some kind of IR sensors that will detect the liquid through the bottle. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Some bottles might be too dark? What do you guys think?

Xmtrman

If you can find a scale that settles quickly enough, it could work.

Move the bottle into position and take a weight reading. That is your "tare" weight.
Lower the filler and start continuously reading weight.
All of these subsequent readings on the same bottle are "tare + beer".
Subtract out the tare weight on each reading and watch for beer weight to reach the desired value.
Lift the filler.

If you read tare first each time, the system will automatically compensate for different bottle weights giving you the same weight of beer each time.

Cheers!

Bob Craig
Cincinnati, OH

AgeBee

Hi,
I recently had the same problem and did a thorough reasearch. I found out that the most commercial available IR sensors are too unsensible for low distances.
A scale isa proper solution if it is fast enough for your requirements. And in most cases the resolution with a scale and a downstreamed ADC is excellent.
Think about a capacitive solution or a solution which uses resistance measurement (that would be in your case: beer touches two electrodes in a distinct distance)
Regards

AlejandroIceman

If you can find a scale that settles quickly enough, it could work.

Move the bottle into position and take a weight reading. That is your "tare" weight.
Lower the filler and start continuously reading weight.
All of these subsequent readings on the same bottle are "tare + beer".
Subtract out the tare weight on each reading and watch for beer weight to reach the desired value.
Lift the filler.

If you read tare first each time, the system will automatically compensate for different bottle weights giving you the same weight of beer each time.

Cheers!

Bob Craig
Cincinnati, OH
This is an excellent idea! Thanks Bob, will look into this (been very busy, not worked on the project at all since I posted this).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy