Go Down

Topic: Distributed Computing and Distributed Storage using Arduino (Read 182 times) previous topic - next topic

ashafiei

Hi,

I am interested in a framework or an operating system for Arduino which allows me to distribute the computation (offload) and distribute the storage in order to get a more powerful microcontroller.

Has anyone done any work related to this?

Graynomad

This gets asked a lot, and the answer is (almost) always "Just get a more powerful computer".

There are very few situations where distributed CPUs make sense.

What's you application? Maybe that's one of them.
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

ashafiei

Applications that I have in mind are related to "wearables".
Some examples:
1) A blind person who is walking in the street and needs to detect objects, friends who approach, etc.
2) A person with healthcare devices who is walking in the street and needs real-time feedback on his health status.
3) A person who is talking with a foreigner and needs to understand in real-time.

A more powerful wearable computer is costly and moreover a wearable computer of small size has a limit. A shared powerful (and bigger size) computer shared between those small wearable computers could be solution. (?)

Robin2

I don't immediately see a need for an operating system even though I can see the value of using different Arduinos for different tasks when the overall project is beyond the capability of a single Arduino.

...R

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ashafiei

Suppose you are using an Arduino of small size. The computation power of Arduino for a heavy task (blind person scenario) is limited. Then you build an application which transfers the computation to a more powerful machine.

Now if you want to build different applications of this type, you need a framework in order to ease the development.

Because this framework manages resources I happened to call it operating system.

Robin2

you need a framework in order to ease the development.
Obviously I have no idea how complex is the project you have in mind, but I suspect it may not be necessary to have a framework.

I don't immediately see why the project has to be developed as a single whole.

Perhaps each Arduino could work almost standalone just sending data or taking commands from a "master"?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ashafiei

Hi,

This is a question (or survey) from those who implemented many applications for Arduino. (I personally do not have much experience except some small toy projects).

Do you think there is any need for an operating system for Arduino, in an environment where there are many Arduino with wifi module communicating to each other and communicating to nearby Clouds (Cisco calls it Fog) in the context of Internet of Things?

If yes, what would you think those requirements are?

ashafiei

I asked my question differently in another thread:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=400408.0

spycatcher2k

Nope - I prefer to custom write the code for each situation, without a cumbersome OS in the way -Sorry Raspberry Pi
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design & Assembly work undertaken - Arduino repairs & testing - PM for details.

Coding Badly

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy