Go Down

Topic: Suggestions to improve the reference manual: StringPlus (Read 145 times) previous topic - next topic

compsystems

Aug 13, 2016, 07:21 pm Last Edit: Aug 13, 2016, 07:28 pm by compsystems
Hello, 

Sorry for my bad English

On the next page https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/StringPlus
show:

(+ operator)

I think it should be more explicit

+ (concatenation operator)

also the link (See also), must show a link to the arithmetic operator

+ (algebraic operator)  -> https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Arithmetic
StringAppendOperator

Robin2

In spite of the Reference material it is not a good idea to use the String (capital S) class as it can cause memory corruption in the small memory on an Arduino. Just use cstrings - char arrays terminated with 0.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Thomas499

In spite of the Reference material it is not a good idea to use the String (capital S) class as it can cause memory corruption in the small memory on an Arduino.
Is there not a way to fix the String library so that it doesn't do that? I have noticed in the past many people have stated problems with Strings. Is there not a computer design platform out there that someone can load the String library to and the platform show the causes of the memory corruption?

Also, when you pass arguments, does that default to passing Strings? - Just wondering

Robin2

The code for the String class was designed for computers that have at least 1000 times more memory than an Uno and which have an Operating System to prevent one program from transgressing on the memory allocated to another program.

It is for you to decide the data type in any arguments that you pass to a function.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy