Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]   Go Down
Author Topic: UECIDE: A New Fork of the IDE  (Read 44130 times)
UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have spent the past two weeks slaving away over a hot keyboard giving UECIDE a complete makeover.

I have thrown away the old editor interface (quite literally - I deleted the old editor source code) and have crafted a proper interface.  Quite frankly I got fed up with hacking and fudging the old Arduino code that I felt it would be easier in the long run to just delete it, so I did.

Here's what the interface now looks like (in Gnome with the Aluminium theme):

Gone is the old cheesy status bar in the middle of the screen wasting space.  The status bar is now a real status bar at the foot of the screen - much more discrete.
The editor window has now been split in two, with a proper project overview tree on the left.
Gone is the old "every file in the project must be open in a tab all the time" rubbish from the old Arduino IDE.  Now you only open the tabs YOU want to open!
I can now craft individual editor plugins for different file types.  Here's a demonstration of a small editor that dumps the structure of an ELF file into text and allows you to view it.  Great for finding what's using all the space in your program:

You also get a full project file tree as well.  Manage the files in your project from handy context menus.  Drag and drop files within your project, make folders, delete files, even drag and drop files in from outside the project!

The plugin manager has been completely re-written as well.  I know so much more about Java layout managers now, so I have done the layout properly at last.  I have also implemented a task queue system, so only 3 operations will be active at once.  Much more resource friendly...

I am releasing this new version as a beta test.  It comes with a few caveats:
  • The Java plugin interface has changed drastically.  It's not compatible with the old system.  I would recommend running this with the --datadir=... option to create a clean installation alongside your existing UECIDE installation.
  • This is very much beta software.  In fact, it's probably not even beta at this point.  Use it at your own risk - it may not work at all for you, but please do give it a go.  I need to know what works and what doesn't.
  • Not all plugins have been converted to the new system.  There is only the Plugin Manager and the Serial Terminal.  Things like the Grapher are still to be converted to the new interface.
You can grab the beta software from http://uecide.org/beta - it's packaged in the same formats as normal, so pick the same one you'd normally pick - the zip version ("full" if you're on windows) is probably best for testing with (except OS X of course, which is always just a DMG).

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

I've just given the UECIDE website a bit of a facelift: http://uecide.org - looks much posher now.

The beta version with so many more bells and whistles (and the odd flange too) is nearing completion.  I'd like to get it released soon, so I need people to really test it thoroughly for me.  The downloads are at http://uecide.org/download - beta is at the bottom of the page.

Here's how the IDE looks now:

It's really beginning to come together into a really smart IDE...

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Anacortes, WA
View Profile

I like what I see so far, but I'm having no luck getting the thing to load libraries. Any hints?

After some messing about I find it can't see my source folder.
/Users/jimlee bla bla (No such file or directory)"

Maybe permissions? Set them to everything can read/write no luck.

Help?!

Thanks millions!

-jim lee
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:56:42 am by jimLee » Logged

UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I've been reluctant to try this because I don't like the name - it begs to be prefixed with an S

Anyway, in another Thread you mentioned that it can show the assembler code so I thought I would give it a try. But I don't see a Linux ZIP file for the Beta version and I don't see the point of installing JVM products from DEBs

...R

View Profile

I have just released the beta as stable.  You can now download 0.8.7a, and yes it's available as a zip file for linux.  It should have been there as a beta - not sure why it's not listed.

Anyway, go grab it and enjoy.

http://uecide.org/download

Just because something's written in Java is no reason not to have it as a .deb file. It's no different to something written in C, just the dependencies are different.

A better IDE for the Arudino: UECIDE - The Universal Embedded Computing IDE.

UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Just because something's written in Java is no reason not to have it as a .deb file.

But where is the code from the .deb file placed?

The beauty of the JVM is that I can just expand the .zip and put the content anywhere I like. And just delete the directory if I decide I don't want it.

...R

View Profile

you get /usr/share/uecide with main contents in it, /usr/bin/uecide which is a symlink to /usr/share/uecide/uecide.  You also get an application icon and .desktop files installed in /usr/share/icons and /usr/share/applications, which means you get UECIDE in your applications menu etc.  Like I said, it's just an application.

Better still, use the repo listed on the download page, and apt-get upgrade will keep you up to date with the latest version.

UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

you get /usr/share/uecide with main contents in it, /usr/bin/uecide which is a symlink to /usr/share/uecide/uecide.

You have expressed my objection so much better than I could.

Why on earth would I want to put a piece of java code somewhere like that?

If you install another version of the operating system from scratch all the programs you have downloaded using debs have to be reinstalled again. The java code on my portable hard drive will still be there ready to run.

...R

View Profile

Why on earth would I want to put a piece of java code somewhere like that?

If you install another version of the operating system from scratch all the programs you have downloaded using debs have to be reinstalled again.
Yes... that is what happens.  That's called installing an application.  You seem to be making some strange distinction between a program written in Java and a program written in C.  What is the difference between installing UECIDE, or the Arduino IDE, and installing say Firefox or Opera?  Absolutely nothing.  Just because it's written in Java doesn't magically make it any different.

You're making no sense at all to me, sorry.

An application is an application no matter what language it's written in.

But since you're so paranoid about installing applications where they should be installed, and insist on cluttering up your home directory with application folders, I'll let you into a little secret about UECIDE:

You don't even need the zip file.  All you need is the uecide.jar file and nothing else.  The whole application is in that one file, and that file can be directly executed by Linux (as long as you have a JVM installed of course).  Just double click it (or type ./uecide.jar) and away you go.

France S-O
Edison Member
View Profile

@robin2
Where is the problem ? Is it a Windows reflex ?
With Windows you have often to re-install from scratch but with Linux and with *.deb --> Debian and derivates, you just update or upgrade.
Notice that boards and compilers are not under /usr /.....   but in your home directory  ~/.uecide/**** and don't need to be re-installed unless you scratch your home directory.

@ Majenko : is it possible with Debian and derivate OS to use compiler version furnished by Debian's depositery and not download it in ~/.uecide/compiler : symbolic link for exemple ?

View Profile

@ Majenko : is it possible with Debian and derivate OS to use compiler version furnished by Debian's depositery and not download it in ~/.uecide/compiler : symbolic link for exemple ?
Perfectly possible, yes.  If you take a look at the downloaded compiler files you will see a "compiler.txt" file.  That is what describes the compiler to the IDE.  You can just delete everything from the folder except that file and edit that file to remove the paths to the executables. It should then use the OS installed ones instead.  For instance, the lines:
Code:
gcc=${compiler.root}/bin/avr-gcc
gpp=${compiler.root}/bin/avr-g++
ar=${compiler.root}/bin/avr-ar
objcopy=${compiler.root}/bin/avr-objcopy
objdump=${compiler.root}/bin/avr-objdump
size=${compiler.root}/bin/avr-size
would just have all the ${compiler.root}/bin/ bits removed:
Code:
gcc=avr-gcc
gpp=avr-g++
ar=avr-ar
objcopy=avr-objcopy
objdump=avr-objdump
size=avr-size

France S-O
Edison Member
View Profile

Thanks,
Very great job.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]   Go Up
Jump to: