Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Upload source code to SD card  (Read 108 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey all,

I'm working on a project to ruggedize and expand the Arduino architecture for long term projects and one feature I've wanted to add to the system is to automatically upload my source code to an SD Card anytime I upload a new sketch to the AVR.  I'm creating the boards from scratch so I've got some flexibility in that regard, and I'm not afraid to modify any source if need be, I just don't know where to begin.  Currently I'm working off of an Atmega8535 instead of the 328p, and I'll be uploading through serial, rather than a 16U2.

My current thoughts of ways to accomplish this would be:

1) Add some fancy circuitry to redirect the FT232 to write the source to the SD card (not sure if that is even possible)

2) Write in extra functions and transfer the source tot he SD card through the AVR after the sketch was uploaded.

3) Add a 16U2 or, preferably any DIP packaged AVR, with modified firmware to upload the source code to the SD card after programming the 8535.

So far, 3, sounds to be the most straight forward approach, though I'd like to try other alternatives if possible.  Any route I go, I'll have to modify the IDE.

Suggestions, comments, criticisms?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

...one feature I've wanted to add to the system is to automatically upload my source code to an SD Card anytime I upload a new sketch to the AVR.

Why?

View Profile

Quite simply, my arduino projects last a long time, and get passed on from year to year to different people.  Source code get's lost, or deleted.  In academia, students are quite bad about keeping things consistent from year to year.  So, it's far more convenient to have it stored on the device, just as it would be on a PLC.  The ability to come back 3 years later, and download the source material from the dvice, modify, expand it what have you, and then upload it back from the same IDE is very convenient and saves many headaches.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: