Go Down

Topic: controlling multiple 8x8 RGB LED matrix (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Feb 12, 2013, 12:27 am Last Edit: Mar 15, 2014, 04:55 am by CrossRoads Reason: 1
I disagree - the use of Shutdown mode and diodes to isolate the cathode drivers will allow one MAX7219 at a time to control the cathodes.

[EDIT]March 2014 - just had a discussion with someone trying to use this schematic - turns out I have the diodes on the individual segment outputs, when I intended them to be on the shared common cathode digit outputs.[/EDIT]
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

berkeleythings

sorry for the long delay and thanks a lot for the suggestions. I think I will try small versions of what both of you suggested and see if they work out as well as how hard they are for me to build. I'm much better at the software side than I am at hardware, so this is a little bit of an adventure for me.

I picked up the parts for the MAX7219 design (including diodes to isolate each led), as well as the parts that fungus described for a build based on the TLC5940, but I'm not the best at circuit/power design so I might be back with some basic suggestions once I get parts (on the way from China right now...).

Initially I'm only going to do 2-3 of the matrices. I'll post everything online (including circuit diagrams and what not) when it works!

Runaway Pancake

CR,

Can a MAX7219 be made to dim/fade?

If so, please give this guy
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,150219.0.html
some assistance.
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up