Go Down

Topic: [Solved] Wifly - Networking problems. (Read 862 times) previous topic - next topic

Feb 22, 2013, 10:48 pm Last Edit: Feb 24, 2013, 04:58 pm by Passive Reason: 1

I bought a wifly shield from sparkfun, and aim to use it post sensor information to the internet.

But the problem is getting the Wifly to connect to a network. When using SpiUartermial example from wifly library I can connect to the network by doing the following in the serial monitor:
set wlan phrase mypassword
join myssid

I then check that I am connected using:

show net

And I am connected.
However when saved and reboot the information is lost. Following this guide http://www.mgisolutions.info/2012/05/arduino-wifly-shield-tutorial.html with additional settings from the data sheet http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/WiFi/WiFlyGSX-um2.pdf I put the following commands through the serial monitor:
set ip dhcp 0
set ip address
set ip netmask
set wlan join 4
set wlan ssid myssid  Its a virgin media hub if that changes anything
set wlan auth 4 WAP2 auth used
set wlan chan 11

Then when I check connection  its not connected.

Its very frustrating as I can't move on with the project. I think I would prefer it if it didn't connect either way, then it would be less frustrating.

I have tried doing different dhcp settings, as well as copying ip/netmask/chan shown when connected through the first method.

I hope that is enough information, and I have done hours of internet trawling and can't find the solution.

In one case you use:

and in the other you use: 
set wlan mypassword

Could that be the problem?
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Feb 23, 2013, 08:57 pm Last Edit: Feb 24, 2013, 04:59 pm by Passive Reason: 1

In one case you use:

and in the other you use: 
set wlan mypassword

Could that be the problem?

Sorry that was a typo in the message, I have now edited the initial post. I have now managed to get connected to a network by changing the join option to option 1. I have also managed to mash together code to set the WiFly up in code without using the Spiuart terminal with manual inputs.

How ever I now have another problem, I can't seem to get the WiFly example for a web client to work. The code i am using is:

Code: [Select]
#include "WiFly.h"

Client client("google.com", 80);

void setup() {

if (client.connect()) {
    client.println("GET /search?q=arduino HTTP/1.0");
  } else {
    Serial.println("connection failed");
   Serial.println("End of setup.");

void loop() {
  Serial.println("Start of void loop");
  if (client.available()) {
    char c = client.read();
  if (!client.connected()) {
  Serial.println("End of void loop");

Using the serial prints I can tell that it hangs at the if (client.connect() statement. Hopefully I have provided enough information for someone to be able to shed some light on the problem. I have tried several suggestions on other web client examples and still doesn't work.

EDIT: Solved, was missing just one line that fixed it all.
WiFlyClient client;

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131