Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: long audio recording + playback  (Read 439 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been searching around and looking at different solutions but I can't quite seem to find what I need. I'm trying to build a device that can record for long periods (up to 30 mins) of voice (low quality is fine) and play it back. The idea is to create customizable prompts and have users speak into the device to respond.

I've seen mp3 shields and audio shields that provide playback from an (micro)SD card and then audio recording breakout boards that can record audio and I've also search the forums for similar projects.

What I'm seeing are boards that can record for 1-2 minutes max, and I wanted to know if it were feasible to record for up to 30 minutes.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

What I'm seeing are boards that can record for 1-2 minutes max, and I wanted to know if it were feasible to record for up to 30 minutes.
It should be obvious that the limit is the amount of memory available to store the data. The Arduino has no where near enough memory to store anything like 30 minutes worth of audio data, even an unrealistically low sampling rates.

Edison Member
View Profile

Can you check the shields/modules I mentioned here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,153004.msg1147685.html

I want to record to SD card, play back, and get and sent via ethernet.
No one replied my question ....

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Noobish thought but I wonder if the Arduino is fast enough to digitize that audio and store it on an SD card? Probably an excellent time to go visit Mr Google... although it might take some time to really winnow out the opinions or methods. So.. I asked here because this is a filter for complex Arduino related data.

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

What Question?

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Edison Member
View Profile

What Question?

About recording and playback and if possible have small sound read and write over ethernet.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,153004.msg1147685.html

View Profile

It should be obvious that the limit is the amount of memory available to store the data. The Arduino has no where near enough memory to store anything like 30 minutes worth of audio data, even an unrealistically low sampling rates.

Right I understand that. Does that mean there's no possibility of having the data write to an microsd card?

I've seen another post where another user recommended we use an existing digital recorder and using the arduino to manipulate the play and stop buttons, so I might try doing that if nothing else is possible.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Does that mean there's no possibility of having the data write to an microsd card?
It doesn't mean that at all. The problem is that writing to the SD card is not interrupt driven. Most writes actually write to a buffer, but, when the buffer gets full, the buffer is actually written to the file. During that time, which can be lengthy, you can not be sampling audio data.

That, of course, will be a problem.

Then, there is the issue of actually streaming the audio data from the SD card over ethernet. Unless the other end is buffering the data (which it probably is), don't expect that data to be useful for generating sound. Even if it is, there will still be a long lag before enough data gets transferred to be useful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: